Why become a member? ×

J East Retro for sale SOLD

Hello all,

Selling my J-East Retro Jazz bass pre.
These sound completely insane. They are fantastic. The tonal range on these things really has to be heard to be believed! If I was'nt on a massive fundraising mission, I'd be keeping it.
These preamps fit to any Jazz bass on the market (hence the 'retro') and instantly you have a professional bass. The trebles sing and the bass goes loooowwww.
Anyway, the reason why this is cheap is because it has developed a crackle on the volume/pickup select pot. That's it! Otherwise the sound is completely unaffected and it only crackles when you turn the knob.
This will come boxed and with instructions for fitting and usage (very easy to fit by the way, just need a soldering iron and four blobs of solder).
£75 (delivered) by cash on collection OR bank transfer please.

Here's a stock pic:

Cheers

Alex

[b]edit: I'm after any sort of trade you fancy. Cheap, old amps; strings; good leads; reverb unit; good tuners; try me![/b]

Edited by Truckstop

Hmm, I would do if it bothered me much. It still sounds great and I'm sort of a 'one-sound' kind of guy so it'd only crackle when I turned the bass up for the first time (I use a volume pedal during gigs and rehearsals), I never touch the tone controls during shows or rehearsal so it never bothered me.
Like I said, I'm only selling because I need hard cash, fast! Not because I don't like it anymore. I got a good deal on it when I bought it so I'm passing that good deal on to someone else.

Truckstop

Speak to John - he's a really helpful bloke. I've had a similar issue previously and John has some small springs that fit between the upper and lower knobs to keep the earth connection and prevent crackle. Failing that, it may just be in need of some form of contact cleaner - worth asking John what he'd recommend.

Cheers

J.

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' post='1351649' date='Aug 25 2011, 07:10 PM']Speak to John - he's a really helpful bloke. I've had a similar issue previously and John has some small springs that fit between the upper and lower knobs to keep the earth connection and prevent crackle. Failing that, it may just be in need of some form of contact cleaner - worth asking John what he'd recommend.

Cheers

J.[/quote]

The springs are likely to be the answer.

The way to tell is to ground yourself by touching the strings if they are grounded, normally are, or touching the plate and then turn the volume. if it goes away when you're grounded to the bass, then the springs will help.

What's happening is that the inner and outer shafts are making and breaking contacct during the rotation causing the noise. You can often get a slight tick when you touch and untouch the strings with basses which have single coils. Rotating the pot, equates to this effect being effectively speeded up.

If when you ground yourself the noise does not go away, it could be an electronic fault.

Contact cleaner should not be used as the pots are sealed with a special grease on the tracks and contacts. If the contact cleaner does get in, it will likely wash away the internal grease, loosening the feel of the pot and won't help with any noise issues, possibly making it worse.