Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Gordon Smith Galaxy semi acoustic bass

lozbass

For sale, Gordon Smith Galaxy semi-acoustic bass. Hand-built around 1984 - fabulous cherry-burst finish with rosewood board and abalone dots. The bass is in fantastic condition for its age. It's light and versatile (moreso than might be imagined). It's also really easy to play and has a nice slim neck with narrow nut. I don't have a case for the bass but I can pack very carefully with lots of bubble wrap and place it in a strong carton with protective board packaging.

I bought the bass around nine months ago and it's lay pretty much unused in my office - a travesty, this is a bass that should be gigged and seen - it's truly a very cool instrument and a piece of UK bass-luthiery history. I'll supply the strings that were supplied to me when I bought the bass - a re-string is probably in order (I think the strings are Hartke or Dunlop medium rounds). The original thread for the bass is here (I hope Shaggy doesn't mind me using this and his original images) - there's much more detail on construction etc. in this thread. The images are a little saturated - the burst is more subtle than it appears here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=109167&hl=gordon+smith+galaxy"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...on+smith+galaxy[/url]

In all, a very lovely, hand-built bass that really does exude boutique class. I bought this at a very good price and I'm not out to profit - indeed, I'll take a modest loss at £330 collected in central Manchester. Shipping will be at cost - probably around £15-20 for the UK. Any questions, please just let me know

Edited by lozbass

Gareth - thanks for looking and for the offer - I've always been a fan of Yamaha basses (and nearly bought a yamaha as a first 'expensive' bass). Yours looks lovely too! However, I'm not really looking for trades thanks - I have far too many basses and the office/house is clogged. I'm afraid it's got to be cash on this one. Cheers anyway and good luck with the Yammie - quality instruments

I've got far too many too! I already have a gordon smith bass (look at the bottom of my signature) as well as 2 Gordon smith electric g*****s. They are absolutely fantastic superbly made instruments. Just a shame (don't tell my mrs I said this) that I'm getting married next year and trying to save up to pay for other people to eat and drink for free for a couple of hours, so every penny counts.

And you're right about the Yamaha. That's lovely too. I've just been playing it for half an hour actually.

Cheers

[quote name='lozbass' post='1351394' date='Aug 25 2011, 03:03 PM']Gareth - thanks for looking and for the offer - I've always been a fan of Yamaha basses (and nearly bought a yamaha as a first 'expensive' bass). Yours looks lovely too! However, I'm not really looking for trades thanks - I have far too many basses and the office/house is clogged. I'm afraid it's got to be cash on this one. Cheers anyway and good luck with the Yammie - quality instruments[/quote]
pm'd

Ah, my old squeeze! :) This is a truly lovely bass; an outstandingly well crafted bit of luthiery, light, fastest neck I've ever played, superb tone (much more Fender Jazz than EB-2) and cool as f*ck. :) Loz is right, the pics were done on my old camera and don't do the finish justice. Should add that Loz is an absolute gent to do business with.

Really, really tempted to buy this back, I gigged it in preference to some much more "boutique" vintage basses for a couple of years solid..........

Edit: Fits the "large" Hiscox hard case BTW (one FS on the forum now! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=150629"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=150629[/url] )

Edited by Shaggy

Thanks to all for the kind comments and PMs!

Gareth - i can understand your commitment to GS - lovely instruments indeed (love the sober attitude to weddings too - gave me a big laugh!

Ash - cheers, responded to the PM

Shaggy - thanks very much indeed for your kind words and the appreciation is absolutely mutual - I just feel rather guilty that I haven't put the bass to optimum use. I agree with everything you say (and your original description was much better than mine) - cheers!

For now, it looks like the bass is now sold - confirmation tomorrow I hope