Why become a member? ×

Warwick necks/string spacing

lyonk

Today I got to try a new Warwick Corvette 5 string and I've decided that these are the basses I want to replace my BTB. New prices are out of my reach, so I'm looking out for used ones to buy or trade. I've herd that Warwicks had a phase of making really chunky necks though. Can anyone tell me which years I should be on the lookout for for the current neck profile and string spacing?

They changed the neck profile a lot around 2009/2010 - I've got an '08 with a huge neck, and a '10 with a very slim neck. (Also that '10 has seriously rolled edges whereas the '08 has edges so sharp you could almost cut yourself on them). I think it was in the late '90s that they introduced the huge neck, but I'm not very clear on the dates, or the history before that.

Dan's experience with his 2006 neck suggests that things may not have been too uniform even in the 2000s!

Btw, when I say my '08 has a huge neck, I recently got a 50s tribute Gibson LP (guitar, not bass) and was amazed at how big the neck was. So obviously my '08 Warwick is not as extreme as it could be. And, fwiw, I don't have any difficulties with any of these necks - they're all quite playable for me.

Edited by mart

To further cloud your search... necks varied in width and profile across the various ranges, there isn't a 'standard' that you could say 'Warwick necks were slim in 19** and chunky in 20**'. Also, Warwick do a 'Broadneck' option for those that don't like tight finger spacing but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a chunky neck, just wider! I had a 91 Dolphin Pro I that had the widest neck of ANY bass I've ever played and yet it was a breeze to play because the neck was quite shallow/flat by the same token I had a 91 Streamer Stage I that had a very narrow neck with a bit more depth than the Dolphin.

In summary; it isn't that easy! :)

I'd suggest that you try as many as you can and when you find one that fits... buy it. :)

What warwickhunt said. If you don't have the luxury of trying before you buy, buy and try and sell on until you find the right one, I'm aware this is some hassle but if you're savvy about your purchases and sales then you will get to experience all sorts of different varieties and eventually figure out what's right for you.

Yeah, I don't have the option of trying many I'm afraid - I've only found one shop that sells Warwicks - a Thumb, a Corvette 4 and a Corvette 5 with the odd Rockbass scattered around.

Is the string spacing the same on the fatter ones? Going by the size chart, the new "standard" necks are a bit thinner and the fat necks are a little thicker than my BTB, but both have narrower necks and string spacing which I think is probably more of a problem than the actual depth for me. If the older standard is the same as the new fat, it might work out fine. Broadneck is a no-go: the 18mm on the BTB is too much for me, I couldn't cope with 20mm.

[quote name='lyonk' post='1351232' date='Aug 25 2011, 12:23 PM']Yeah, I don't have the option of trying many I'm afraid - I've only found one shop that sells Warwicks - a Thumb, a Corvette 4 and a Corvette 5 with the odd Rockbass scattered around.

Is the string spacing the same on the fatter ones? Going by the size chart, the new "standard" necks are a bit thinner and the fat necks are a little thicker than my BTB, but both have narrower necks and string spacing which I think is probably more of a problem than the actual depth for me. If the older standard is the same as the new fat, it might work out fine. Broadneck is a no-go: the 18mm on the BTB is too much for me, I couldn't cope with 20mm.[/quote]

String spacing is adjustable (within the limits of the width of the neck!) on all Warwicks with the two-piece bridge.
Necks do vary a lot.
I've a '97 Fortress Masterman 5 with a lovely neck.
I've also a '97 Streamer LX 6 with as good a neck as a sixer can have.
My '02 Infinity SN4 , on the other hand, is a little "deep" (front to back) fro my liking. I'm not too bothered by necks, but if I am, it's by depth, not width. Everyone's mileage varies on this one, methinks!