Why become a member? ×

Replacing Speakers

AsterL

[quote name='AsterL' post='1350329' date='Aug 24 2011, 10:08 AM']What things should you keep in mind when looking for replacement speakers for bass cabs?
I'm looking into upgrading a 210 cab from 200 watts @ 8 ohms to 600 Watts @ 4 Ohms[/quote]T/S specs that are compatible with the cab, midrange frequency response that meets your requirements, and the realization that wattage ratings mean very little. It's excursion (xmax), frequency response and sensitivity that determine output. As for impedance, seldom is there an advantage to a 4 ohm cab.

[quote name='AsterL' post='1350329' date='Aug 24 2011, 03:08 PM']What things should you keep in mind when looking for replacement speakers for bass cabs?
I'm looking into upgrading a 210 cab from 200 watts @ 8 ohms to 600 Watts @ 4 Ohms[/quote]

I wouldn't swap around chassis in the box..I'll sell the cab and get another one if I thought it wasn't upto what I needed.

If you are doing it to get yourself a 4 ohm cab, to develop max power from your amp, dont bother, You probablywont hear the difference. You will get a much better result by adding a second speaker cab to give you more speaker area.
Bill knows all the theory, I know little, but I did it last year and it was a total waste of money