Why become a member? ×

eminence 15" driver issue (in GK BLX115 cab)

theforevertest

Hi all

I've done a bit of searching around in this area of the forum but haven't found anything specific to my problem, so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and I've missed it.

I recently bought a Gallien Krueger BLX115 thru Basschat, seller was a sound bloke and has been trying to help me over the last couple of days since I had the issue. I believe him when he says he's never had an issue with this cab/driver before.

The cab has been upgraded to a 15" 500w 4ohm Eminence driver.

I was gigging with the new cab on Friday night and after a perfect sounding first set (and rehearsal earlier in the week) I was delighted with my new cab. But in the first song of the second set it cut out near the end of the song. I say cut out, it actually went very very very very quiet, only audible if you put your ear right up to the grill. the gig was in a medium-sized bar, running a 300w 4ohm head through the cab, running at about 4 out of 10 volume with bass at about 6/10, treble 5/10 and mid cut down to 3/10. Active EQ on my Warwick was sitting at 5/10 for both bass and treble.

Initial worry is a blown driver, but I was under the impression there would some sort of "crack" or "bang" as the driver blew, followed by "farting" sounds. Is this correct? If so I don't think it's a blown driver as it happened silently.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm taking the back off tonight to check wiring etc.

Any help would much appreaciated!!

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='icastle' post='1348074' date='Aug 22 2011, 03:31 PM']Have you checked that the battery in your bass is ok?

As you've correctly surmised, a speaker generally doesn't just fade out if it blows.[/quote]
+1. Are you [i]sure[/i] it's the cab that's the problem? Can you try your bass and amp with a different cab?

[quote name='mart' post='1348086' date='Aug 22 2011, 03:46 PM']+1. Are you [i]sure[/i] it's the cab that's the problem? Can you try your bass and amp with a different cab?[/quote]
+ another; these kind of eliminations should be first tests to do.
There's more ways for speakers to fail than blowing. Detached cone, seized magnet, broken solder, loose joint, elimiate all the rest before looking at the speaker.

thanks for all responses guys. I plugged in lastnight to start eliminating reasons and it worked fine straight away. I've changed the battery in the warwick to be safe and checked all the connections in the cab and everything seems fine. perhaps I triggered some sort of cutoff? used the head with a different cab too and it was fine.

maybe just one of those things?!

Doesn`t immediately suggest a speaker fault, a cable maybe.
If your speaker was damaged then it wouldn`t be working fine now.
That`s a pretty good speaker also with plenty of power, so I can`t see it overheating.
The way it went on the first dong after the break also suggests it wasn`t overheating as it will have cooled down during the break.
I`m betting Amplifier.
I hope it doesn`t undermine your trust in the cab.
MM

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1348726' date='Aug 23 2011, 09:40 AM']Doesn`t immediately suggest a speaker fault, a cable maybe.[/quote]
That's quite likely. I'd check the wiring from the amp through to the driver very carefully. It's impossible to tell at this distance but it sounds like it might have been a short circuit across your amp. Look for broken insulation and frayed wires. Check inside the speaker as well.