Why become a member? ×

Another early John Birch

ash

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250877637733?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250877637733?ssP...984.m1423.l2649[/url]

I wonder how long it will last before the Rickenwaffe snipe it? I do think the pricing is a wee bit optimistic in the current economic market. Nice example though, about 600 less and I'd be tempted!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1348075' date='Aug 22 2011, 03:33 PM']Greenburst seemed to be a very popular John Birch colour.

Any idea why?[/quote]

Beauty in the eye of the beholder I suppose :)
I've seen some strange ideas of his over the years, the "cooker knobs" that he liked to use always look awful, worst was possibly a sky blue, flat bodied J2, with a bolt-on neck (only JB I ever saw with a bolt-on) which had 12 old pennies let into the upper bout. Rod Vaughan, one of his ex-employees remembers it being made, he remembered the name of the band too; which I don't right now.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1348677' date='Aug 23 2011, 08:28 AM']... worst was possibly a sky blue, flat bodied J2, with a bolt-on neck (only JB I ever saw with a bolt-on) which had 12 old pennies let into the upper bout. Rod Vaughan, one of his ex-employees remembers it being made, he remembered the name of the band too; which I don't right now.[/quote]
That must have been a specific customer request and from someone fairly influential for it to get built.

As an impressionable teenager, I remember reading an article about John Birch in International Musician, most of which was him going on about why he thought Fenders and Gibsons were badly made. Fender's bolt-on neck design in particular got a lot of criticism.

At our first metting he told me he got sick of seeing so many Les Pauls around, so he bought one & cut another cutway into it to balance the look - and that's where he got the idea for the J1.
There was a guitar shop in Blackpool that had a "Not For Sale" JB Strat on the wall, thru' neck. The owner said he'd been offered £10k (which I took with a pinch of salt) & he'd rejected the offer.

[quote name='ash' post='1347015' date='Aug 21 2011, 11:22 AM'][url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250877637733?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250877637733?ssP...984.m1423.l2649[/url]

I wonder how long it will last before the Rickenwaffe snipe it?[/quote]
Some time in the past hour; & yet still the cheap copies are up there. Definitely a pattern there.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1348690' date='Aug 23 2011, 08:47 AM']At our first metting he told me he got sick of seeing so many Les Pauls around, so he bought one & cut another cutway into it to balance the look - and that's where he got the idea for the J1.
There was a guitar shop in Blackpool that had a "Not For Sale" JB Strat on the wall, thru' neck. The owner said he'd been offered £10k (which I took with a pinch of salt) & he'd rejected the offer.

Some time in the past hour; & yet still the cheap copies are up there. Definitely a pattern there.[/quote]

Damn shame! I think everyone should have a fair go - despite the high pricing this was a lovely bass - seems that the private sellers are now getting a hammering from eBay and the Rickenwaffe.....sort of echoing what's happening in Britain at the moment....where big business and those supposedly representing our best interests are exempt from the 'rules'.
:)

[quote name='ash' post='1349102' date='Aug 23 2011, 03:52 PM']John Carling of JB is building me a five string version, what sort of money you looking for for yours?[/quote]

I'm not sure on pricing these they seem to be all over the place but I would say £700. PM if you want to talk. Cheers