Why become a member? ×

Spot the ringer

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180711981002&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ME:B:SS:GB:1123[/url]

Oh dear - I hope no one pays 70s mustang money for what appears to be a tarted up squier bronco.

The first line "I do not know the history of this wonderful electric bass perfectly captures the spirit of the mid-years' 70 ..." is probably intended as a get out clause in case he's rumbled, but its listed as a Fender Mustang.

If this belongs to anyone's good friend I apologise in advance. No offence intended - I'm sure he's a wonderful bloke and doesn't know anything about fenders so is entirely blameless.

Please feel free to point out if you don't agree & think I am wrong. I won't post my observations yet, I'd be interested to see if anyone else can see what I think is wrong with it.

Mustangs are one of the few fenders that I don't know a great deal about but I'd begin with the chrome covers which shouldn't be there. The neck has that nasty pale Bronco look and the sticker on the Mustang pickup looks brand new.

Maybe the truss rod at the wrong end and 4 bolt neck instead of 3?

The last two are complete guesses

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1344429' date='Aug 18 2011, 02:36 PM']Maybe the truss rod at the wrong end[/quote]
That was the obvious thing to me.

One of his bits of feedback (Google-)translates as "Beware of rip-offs, is a clumsy piece of assembler not original", so I guess it's not his first go at this sort of thing.

I didn't get as far as looking at the feedback :)

What jumped out at me was that the dot between the last two frets (nearest the body) is not present - indicating a bronco neck.

I wasn't sure about the truss rod access as the pic wasn't clear, so I asked him if he had a better pic - now added. Yep its at the wrong end. I'm going to tell him (politely) that it is a modifed bronco.

I sent him this:
[quote]Thanks for adding the pic. Unfortuantely this confirms (with other details) that this bass is not a genuine Fender mustang but a Squier bronco modified to look like a mustang. Mustangs have a dot marker between the highest two frets which is not present on a bronco or on the one you are selling. I suggest you change the listing to reflect this.[/quote]

& got back this

[quote]hi, I have checked by an expert and you're right. I made a bad purchase.
I now remove the instrument from ebay.
I thank you immensely[/quote]

& it has indeed been withdrawn.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1344439' date='Aug 18 2011, 02:45 PM']That was the obvious thing to me.

One of his bits of feedback (Google-)translates as "Beware of rip-offs, is a clumsy piece of assembler not original", so I guess it's not his first go at this sort of thing.[/quote]

He does change his mind though!..".Ambiguity resolved, Seller reliable and recommended. very correct" :)