Why become a member? ×

FS/FT: Sound City B120 MkIV

Pow_22

One of my usual ‘’Feelers’’ this one . Ive got an old Sound City B120 all valve bass amp that im considering replacing with one of a few Fender Bassman’s ive seen dotted around. Whilst mine is fully working AND comes loaded with Mullard EL34’s (all six of the power valves!) it is cosmetically tatty. The tolex is ripped in several areas and a previous owner has taken it upon themselves the remedy the missing tolex but painting the while thing black (well the bits that are meant to be black anyway). This has resulted in some of the exposed wood also being painted black. Dosent in anyway effect the usability or sound, purely cosmetic. Also the back ‘Sticker’ that denotes what all the switches and various sockets do is rather tatty and worn (again purely cosmetic).

I have been using the amp with a Fender 2x15 cab and the sound is fantastic. With my flats-loaded P bass it gives a good vintage and breathy thump. Ive only ever cranked this at one rehearsal. I say cranked but I got it to about ‘6’ on the volume before I drowned out the drummer and guitarist. Good old vintage tone with plenty of depth and warmth.

Pricing – I thought long and hard about this. Wooks recently advertised his for £500 on here if I remember right and his is immaculate. Given that as a bench mark ill say £350. Purely due to the Mullards it comes with (6 of these costs a fortune).

P.S I don’t know its ‘service history’ so I would certainly recommend any buyer gets one done. It works fine and ive NEVER had an issue with it but old valve amps do need a bit of TLC from time to time. Of course you are welcome to bring your own bass down/up to Manchester for a test of it.

Pics to follow. No trades at the mo (other than a Fender Bassman 135). Collection only from Manchester – though could be travelling to see a few Bassmans so delivery might be an option. Again its only a feeler, im not desperate to get rid and will happily keep on using it as my main amp.

Any questions?

PPS - As the pics will show i have replaced the usual 'Multi coloured' Sound City buttons with Hiwatt Style chickenhead buttons

Edited by Pow_22

Just sorting pics now. Have been tempted to sell the mullards alone on ebay to see what they fetch. Only prob is i dont have a valve tester to determine how much life is in them. Pics to follow in 10

Really tempted to try and sell the mullards alone on ebay. Ive seen the prices some go for on there and am tempted. As mentioned i dont have a valve tester, anyone sold valves 'untested' but clearly working before?

Any ideas what a set of 6 EL34's are worth at all. Ive seen some wierd things on ebay whilst checking. Some individual tubes going for big money whilst quads or pairs going for not a lot. Very new to the whole valve thing

Her in charge says i either sell it all and get the bassman or dont sell it at all and dont get the bassman. Dosent want effectively an empty box sat round. Can see her point in a way so a cheeky bump

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1350719' date='Aug 24 2011, 08:53 PM']Her in charge says i either sell it all and get the bassman or dont sell it at all and dont get the bassman. Dosent want effectively an empty box sat round. Can see her point in a way so a cheeky bump[/quote]

Have the valves gone then??

No. I was planning selling the valves on ebay to raise bassman funds. However, her indoors asked what ill then do with the rest of the amp, told her i didnt know (i.e stick it int spare room). Apparently this is no an option - If i want a bassman the WHOLE of the SC120 goes, otherwise it all stays and no bassman :)

• 1 month later...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-Closely-Matched-EL34-6CA7-Tubes-Mullard-/370529933641?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item56454e1949

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATCHED-QUAD-GE-EL34-XF4-MULLARD-SAME-CODES-/160656392466?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2567de0112

And there are 6.

If you have the money, buy the amp, put the valves aside, and wait, tehy are an appreciating asset, and due to their broad international appeal, won't be so screwed in case of economy fun (I just shipped £500 worth of valves to Hong Kong, and aaaargh the tracking website is down).