Why become a member? ×

Unusual Jazz Bass

jumbo

Hi All.
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm seriously thinking about buying a Mexican Jazz. However the advert states that it has a scratchplate that houses all the electrics and controls all in one. I'm assuming this means it doesn't have the chrome control plate. I've never seen one like this before so I'm hoping someone here can let me know if this sounds a bit suss or if they did in fact produce a model like this?

Many Thanks
David

[quote name='jumbo' post='1339769' date='Aug 14 2011, 04:59 PM']Hi All.
I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I'm seriously thinking about buying a Mexican Jazz. However the advert states that it has a scratchplate that houses all the electrics and controls all in one. I'm assuming this means it doesn't have the chrome control plate. I've never seen one like this before so I'm hoping someone here can let me know if this sounds a bit suss or if they did in fact produce a model like this?

Many Thanks
David[/quote]

If I remember rightly they did produce a model with a one piece pickguard a while ago. I can't remember much about it, in fact I thought it was squier, but maybe it was Fender Mexico! If you want an idea what they look like the Mark Hoppus model they make now also has a one piece pickguard.

EDIT: Oh wait, on this talkbass link there's one -

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fender-jazz-bass-83-fullerton-era-746471/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fender-ja...ton-era-746471/[/url]

Just scroll down a little.

Edited by Tait

Thanks for the info and quick replies guys. Its a bit of a drive (about 60 miles each way). I have emailed him and asked him for pictures. When and if I get any I will post them here for opinions..... I'm a bit suspicious as the asking price is only £200 when seems pretty cheap to me.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1339777' date='Aug 14 2011, 05:09 PM']It could be one of the funny-looking all-in-one jobs, but the seller may have got his terminology confused. Get the seller to email some pics before setting off to have a look - unless its just down the road.[/quote]
+1 to this

Here the pics and serial number. Any more thoughts? The serial number puts it to 1995/96 which after a bit of research seems about right. From what I can tell its a Mexican reissue of 1983 Jazz Bass which apparently came with the all in one pickguard.