Why become a member? ×

Where can I get my Super fly amp repaired?

The Dark Lord

I have a couple of Ashdown Superfly amps. They are 2 x 250 w solid state amps. I like 'em. Very compact, lots of tonal adjustment and 99 footswitchable presets. Having said that, I keep a single clean sound during gigs and use a Line 6 X3 Live for tonal changes, They are nice and compact and easy to transport to gigs and rehearsals.

Trouble is. one of them is faulty. One of the power amps appears to have failed and it is now only a 1 x 250 amp. I can still use it as a 1 x 250 watter but it's not as good that way. I had the same problem with the other one and had it repaired at the Ashdown factory. However, they tell me they can't fix the next one, as they no longer have spare parts for the Superfly amp series.

Does anyone know anyone else who could fix one of these for me?

These Class D amps are not, as far as I know, that easy to work on by the layman electrical repair man.

My suggestion would be to unbolt all the external casing (this makes it lighter), leaving just the chassis and electronics and courier it direct to Martin Burrows at Ashdown.

He is contactable on [email protected]

The customer support at Ashdown is second to none.

Best of luck.

Edited by neilb

Ashdown have already told me they can't repair it as they don't have spare parts.

[quote name='neilb' post='1339043' date='Aug 13 2011, 07:56 PM']These Class D amps are not, as far as I know, that easy to work on by the layman electrical repair man.

My suggestion would be to unbolt all the external casing (this makes it lighter), leaving just the chassis and electronics and courier it direct to Martin Burrows at Ashdown.

He is contactable on [email protected]

The customer support at Ashdown is second to none.

Best of luck.[/quote]

£40 is a very good price for a single channel Superfly, they're very good for home use.

Ashdown really don't seem to want to support this amp, not surprising given it's manufacturing defects and poor construction. They didn't reply to me when mine needed a repair either yet were very responsive when i enquired about it with a view to buying one.
Seems like it's something they want to forget about. If you ignore a problem it just goes away right? :)

[quote name='mercuryl' post='1339525' date='Aug 14 2011, 12:25 PM']I think he was called Gavin, but I've lost the email, so I can't say for sure.[/quote]

Probably Guy, the service chappie.

I do agree with the other posters tho, may be not worth it considering what you can pick up secondhand.

Neil

[quote name='neilb' post='1339760' date='Aug 14 2011, 04:52 PM']Probably Guy, the service chappie.

I do agree with the other posters tho, may be not worth it considering what you can pick up secondhand.

Neil[/quote]

Yeah, that's him. I guess yo're right. I'll see if I can buy another from somewhere.