Why become a member? ×

HI FROM A NEWBIE IN WET AND FOGGY CORNWALL

vyniljunky

HI FOLKS,

RECENTLY JOINED THE SITE, AND THOUGHT IT'S TIME TO INTRO MYSELF, I'M AN OLD DOG TEACHING HIMSELF A NEW TRICK, STARTED TEACHING MYSELF AT THE DELICATE AGE OF 48 AND NOW 50, THOUGHT HELL NEED TO GET SOMETHING TO STOP THE GREY MATTER TURNING TO MUSH AS THE BIG 50 RAPIDLY APPRAOCHED, BOUGHT AN ASHTON AB2 PACKAGE FROM THE NETS FAVOURITE AUCTION SITE AND HAVE NOT LOOKED BACK, SINCE THEN HAVE HAD SEVERAL BASSES AS I GAINED CONFIDENCE IN MYSELF, SQUIER PJ (WIFE BOUGHT AS CRIMBO PREZZIE 2010) PIECE OF POOP THAT WAS GOT SHUT OF IT 3 MONTHS LATER FOR IB SRX300 L ,YEP I'M A LEFTY, GOT A MEX FENDER JAZZ ,COULDN'T GET ON WITH THAT, HAD AN ISSUE WITH EARTHS SO GOT RID OF IT, COULDN'T GET RID OF THE PROBLEM, NOW HAVE IBANEZ SR500L AND A SHECTER RIOT 4 THAT I BROUGHT IN FROM THE STATES, USING LANEY RB3 AMP. AM ONLY PLAYING FOR FUN BUT BY CHRIST HAVE I BEEN BITTEN BY THE BASS BUG, IT'S BECOME ADDICTIVE,NOW CONSIDERING A WARWICK CORVETTE ROCKBASS 5 STRING OR A COLLINS 5 STRING BUT KNOW NOW'T ABOUT THEM , WIFE SHUDDERS EVERYTIME SHE WALKS PAST PC AND SEES BASSES ON THE SCREEN, SO NOT ONLY DOES SHE HAVE A VYNIL LP COLLECTION TO PUT UP WITH, THERES AN EVER CHANGING BASS COLLECTION GROWING ON THE BEDROOM WALL.
USING SONGSTERR.COM TO TEACH MESELF,WHICH IS IDEAL FOR ME TRIED HAVIN LESSONS BUT THEY JUST WANTED MY DOSH AND NOT. AM AN AIRCRAFT ENGINEER FOR A LOCAL AIRLINE IN DEEPEST DARKEST WEST CORNWALL, AND PLAYING MY BASS (MORE LIKE MAKING A NOISE ) HELPS ME TO WIND DOWN.
MUSIC GENRES PROG ROCK :- WISHBONE ASH, URIAH HEEP, FLOYD,PRIEST ETC ETC, AND BLUES:- MOOR, S R VAUGHAN AND THE LIKES .

HOPE YOU GOOD FOLKS DIDN'T FALL ASLEEP READING THIS, WOULD APPRECIATE ANY POINTERS AS TO ABOVE 5 STRINGERS MENTIONED

CHEERS RAY

Welcome, only been here a few weeks myself. I'm a lefty too but play right handed. I never considered a lefty bass. Just learnt same way as everyone else. Had a quick go with my SR600 turned upside down today. Just felt weird. My missus cringes every time I look on fleabay at basses. Even more so when I look at Hillman Hunter's, but that's another story :)

John.

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1337000' date='Aug 11 2011, 09:03 PM']I wouldnt use capital letters if I were you, it might upset someone! :lol:
Oh! and welcome BTW :)[/quote]

never gave it a thought, as to how sensitive people are these days, thanks for the reminder and the welcome :)

[quote name='99mustang' post='1337029' date='Aug 11 2011, 09:30 PM']Welcome, only been here a few weeks myself. I'm a lefty too but play right handed. I never considered a lefty bass. Just learnt same way as everyone else. Had a quick go with my SR600 turned upside down today. Just felt weird. My missus cringes every time I look on fleabay at basses. Even more so when I look at Hillman Hunter's, but that's another story :)

John.[/quote]
hi, yeh playing lefty has it drawbacks, lack of choice mainly especially in uk, and dealers reluctant to help or do their job researching whats available,hence me schecter being brought in from the usa , even with duty etc it was still a 1/3 of what uk dealer wanted and only took 7 days not 6 months to get(uk delivery forecast). had a go right handed on my sons mates bass, that just felt too weird,and way tooo late in life to train the old grey matter that way i thought :)

ray

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='1337033' date='Aug 11 2011, 09:37 PM']Hey Ray,

Welcome to BC.

I'll swap you wet & foggy west Cornwall for wet Manchester any day of the week. :)

And yeah, all those capitals are a bit heavy on the eyes. :lol:[/quote]

hi you can have the weather, but i'll stay in cornwall thanks, :)

[quote name='vyniljunky' post='1337242' date='Aug 12 2011, 08:25 AM']hi, yeh playing lefty has it drawbacks, lack of choice mainly especially in uk, and dealers reluctant to help or do their job researching whats available,hence me schecter being brought in from the usa , even with duty etc it was still a 1/3 of what uk dealer wanted and only took 7 days not 6 months to get(uk delivery forecast). had a go right handed on my sons mates bass, that just felt too weird,and way tooo late in life to train the old grey matter that way i thought :)

ray[/quote]
I know what you mean about dealers. When I was hunting for my Ibanez, no local dealers were that interested to really help. Most just wanted to push me towards paying more and getting a Fender or suchlike. In the end I managed to audition an Ibanez SR300, loved it and reasoned that if the 300 felt and sounded that good then the 600 must be even better. So went out on a limb and bought one of the last SR600's in the country at the time. Made the right choice. By the way, you're not much older than me, so us "older" dogs can learn new tricks :)

Edited by 99mustang

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='1337411' date='Aug 12 2011, 11:21 AM']Hi Mate, welcome from slightly East of you![/quote]

hi
how far east? i'm just off a30 between dedruff(redruth) and where trains don't stop on wednesdays (according to jethro anyway). I'm not a cornish boy, came down this way in 85 for a second time, married local girl and forgot the way out, and had no change for tamar bridge lol

ray

[quote name='99mustang' post='1337339' date='Aug 12 2011, 10:32 AM']I know what you mean about dealers. When I was hunting for my Ibanez, no local dealers were that interested to really help. Most just wanted to push me towards paying more and getting a Fender or suchlike. In the end I managed to audition an Ibanez SR300, loved it and reasoned that if the 300 felt and sounded that good then the 600 must be even better. So went out on a limb and bought one of the last SR600's in the country at the time. Made the right choice. By the way, you're not much older than me, so us "older" dogs can learn new tricks :)[/quote]

sr300 was my first proper bass as i like to call it after false start with squier pj bass, now have srx500l, was a bit peed off to find out they're actually made by cort and ibanez only exists as a name, great guitar, but it's being neglected since the arrival of my schecter riot, now want something with a more blusey sound to, other are ok ,toying with warwick corvette/ collins but don't know anything about them really or maybe change my amp using laney rb3 richter at mo, dealers could sell me a cortina and tell it's porsche when it comes to basses, didn't have much luck with a mex fender lots of earth probs,so reluctant to go for single coil passive basses,
great provin' the kids wrong isn't it :lol: :)

[quote name='deanovw' post='1338981' date='Aug 13 2011, 06:29 PM']Hi Ray, welcome. I am relatively new here too.

Been gigging around Cornwall for the last 25 years on and off. If you want any tips just ask. I am happy to help. :)[/quote]

Hi Deanovw
thanks for the welcome, would welcome any tips especially when it comes to keeping fretting fingers covering the string, waiting for some finger weights to arrive to see if they help, ok I'm only playing for for fun, but i 'm a bit of a perfectionist and want to do it right, lol, I'm in park bottom (redruth),
How do you get on with squier vintage? had squier pj as 2nd proper bass,but it was awful for noise, ended up with ibanez srx300l and followed shortly by a mex fender which suffered from earth probs which cleared when touching metalwork,so that went ,and hence the schecter riot,also have ib 500l,
Considering a Warwick corvette , but not sure if it will givea bluesey enough sound, limited as being lefty tend to have to abroad and buy blind, what bands are you in and do you go round southwest gigging, many good local bands out there that I've seen

cheers Ray :)

Hi Ray,

For keeping fretting fingers covering the string it is practise, practise, practise! slowly at first, don't try and go too fast. I think practising with a metronome is essential also.

I really like the squire vintage modified. It came with an updated bridge from the previous owner, a Gotoh. I have recently upgraded the pickups to Bare Knuckle hand wound J pickups. The sound is excellent now. I have had zero issues with earth problems with the original pickups or the Bare Knuckles. It is a really nice bass.

I am a Warwick fan, I think they sound great. Not to everyones taste though. For a bluesy sound I don't think you can wrong with a Fender precision. I am playing in [url="http://www.pointblankcornwall.co.uk"]Point Blank[/url] at the moment. I have been with them for a few months after coming out of a 5 year retirement from playing any bass at all. The set list is classic pub rock covers. We have good fun and don't take it too seriously.

Dean.