Why become a member? ×

My flight case is trying to kill me

lollington

My rig had me screaming like a little girlie girl twice today.

Never had any problem with my set up - 4U flight case with Hartke amp, Korg tuner and a Samson power conditioner.

Today I added a dbx compressor and shifted the units around so that the power conditioner sat at the back of the flight case behind the small tuner. This way I could continue to use the 4U case. Wires were all tidy but a bit of a squeeze, nothing obstructing airflow to the amp.

I'm also expecting delivery of a mains powered effects pedal. I thought that I could power the pedal from the conditioner to protect it from any naughty power mishaps but also to keep sockets and cables to a minimum. Problem is, the pedal has a power adapter so will not fit straight into the conditioner. I cut the end off of a male-female kettle lead and replaced it with a standard 3 pin socket, like so, so that the power adapter will go into this and then the conditioner.

This all makes sense to me, but I received two whacking great shocks, once when I touched the flight case, and another time when I was playing my bass. I'm not using the pedal yet but the socket is wired into the power conditioner.

Have I done something stupid enough to deserve these shocks? Either the power conditioner doesn't like the homemade cable or things are a bit tight in there and need to be moved into a 6U case?

Help please!

Sound like you've got something dangerously wrong! I'd suggest you're not going to live long enough to fix it if you're waiting for 'beyond the computer' diagnosis.

Do yourself a favour & get someone qualified in electricals to sort if for you - QUICK!

• 4 weeks later...

Problem solved, an update for those of you with wooden floors to consider...

Nail in floorboard near door had been hammered into wire in downstairs lighting ring. Standing on this nail barefoot whilst touching a metallic object with an earth (light switch, guitar, radiator etc) = 240v ouchiness.