Why become a member? ×

Fast basslines (Billy sheehan style)

Obsidiandesire

I was having a discussion with a Technician on friday, he mentioned to me to start using a pick (something I never do) to build the muscles in my left hand up for faster basslines and to be able to hit the string enough times.
After we did a few takes (I was being recorded), he mentioned that my fingers were fast enough, and my left hand was [i]nearly[/i] strong enough (thank stu hamm's tapping solo's for that) but it still didn't sound so clear.
We tweaked around, and came to the conclusion that it's just the way I play, it dims out the higher sounds :)

Bearing in mind, I was plugged straight into the mixing desk for the tweaking, and I could probably set up my amp to help compensate. What effects pedal setup + EQ setup could I use to help me with this sound?
Bearing In mind my age, I probably have £150 to £200 to spare =/

Meanwhile, I'm going to invest 60p and get a pick :huh:

Sheehan uses three fingers to pluck the strings on fast stuff, from what I remember from the masterclass at the Bass Institute - he also recommends many exercises which he uses to improve speed and technique, not intended for playing live, BBC take note :)

Thanks for that, I noticed that Billy Uses fingers don't fret (hehe)
I might start learning how to use 3 fingers, and perhaps buy one of his DVD's.

I noticed that on one of his DVD's it mentions Pitch harmonics? I know this is a little out of topic, but I can do regular harmonics, how would you get Pitch harmonics?

[quote name='Obsidiandesire' post='154025' date='Mar 9 2008, 05:19 PM']Thanks for that, I noticed that Billy Uses fingers don't fret (hehe)
I might start learning how to use 3 fingers, and perhaps buy one of his DVD's.

I noticed that on one of his DVD's it mentions Pitch harmonics? I know this is a little out of topic, but I can do regular harmonics, how would you get Pitch harmonics?[/quote]

pinch harmonics - you use the right hand only, typically the string is plucked with the thumb while the harmonic is made with the first finger - don't know how Billy does it

[quote name='Paul_C' post='154038' date='Mar 9 2008, 05:43 PM']pinch harmonics - you use the right hand only, typically the string is plucked with the thumb while the harmonic is made with the first finger - don't know how Billy does it[/quote]
I do it the other way around - touch the string with the tip of my thumb at the right spot and just play normally!

• 1 month later...