Why become a member? ×

Gain/Overdrive - whats out there?

Lozz196

Currently use a Fender Precision through an Ampeg PF-500, into two Barefaced cabs, Compact & Midget.

The PF isn`t a tube amp, and the Barefaced cabs are incredibly clean sounding, however I love that Ampeg "just breaking up sound", especially for guitar solos, when a really clean bass can often make the solo sound empty.

So, I`m after a pedal which can give that extra bit of grit, but without changing the tone on the amp.

My Behringer BD121 has the type of gain I want, but it alters the tone of the amp, so not what I`m looking for. Equally, Sansamp pedals aren`t what I`m after.

And the extra bit of gain I`m after is minimal really, I just want the tiniest bit of break up, not a full-on distortion machine.

I use a DHA VT2 with my PF-500.

With the eq flat there's barely any colouration of the sound.

One channel with the gain on about 50% and the other with gain and overdrive on full. It sounded pretty good through the mix of cabs last night. Looking forward to when I can be arsed to take my 4x8" and 1x15" cabs to rehearsals to hear it through nice cabs.

Edited by bartelby

Big shout out to the Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk B for this very purpose. It ever so slightly boosts the bass, low mids and treble and adds a hair of dirt to your tone.

I personally love it for the fact that you retain your sound and your instrument doesn't get coloured much at all.