Why become a member? ×

Peavey Milestone III - Refinish and Restoration

ROConnell

Hello BC'ers.

Decided to kill my summer holidays this year with a refinish and restoration on an old Peavey Milestone III Bass.
I got this Bass from school for free considering it was broken and battered. Seemed a good thing to do.
There's also 2 more broken basses which I hope to get my hands on soon. :)
This is my first time trying this so any advice is greatly appreciated and if I'm doing something wrong, please shout at me! :lol:

So, this is the Bass:

Plywood, battered, bad paintwork, bad drilling. 2 tuning pegs missing and god awfully dirty neck. This will take me lots of work.
Ah, it's all part of the fun.

So, I will soon get the stripper and sanding paper I need and off we go into this undiscovered realm!

More updates when I actually do something. Research time! :)

More pictures of this thing [url="http://s889.photobucket.com/albums/ac93/iGeoff/Peavey%20Milestone%20III%20-%20Black%20Restoration/"]here.[/url]

[quote name='Andyjr1515' post='1329422' date='Aug 6 2011, 12:10 AM']It does take a while...but well worth it in the end :)

What are you thinking of finishing it with?

Andy[/quote]

Olympic White (from Manchester Guitar Tech.) Maybe, if I research it enough, I'll try relicing it. :)

Edited by ROConnell

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't got any pics yet, but they'll follow up in a bit.

After returning from holiday, I've stripped the back and front, and only have one side left and the inside horns, which are a real pain in the ass. However, I apply stripper, wait a bit, chip away until some wood, then sand the rest and keep repeating. It works.

Also, I've sanded down the neck, refinished with Tru-Oil to a nice clear coat. Used wire wool on it and it feels beautiful. The Peavey logo has been removed and coated over.

More to come soon. :)

EDIT: Pictures. :)

Edited by ROConnell