Why become a member? ×

John Birch J2 bass (LesPaulalike)

Big_Stu

What a machine! Pity about the refret..........but that neck goes on forever.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOHN-BIRCH-GUITAR-/270791371883?pt=UK_Music_SheetMusic_RL&hash=item3f0c6c6c6b"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOHN-BIRCH-GUITA...=item3f0c6c6c6b[/url]

I know what you're thinking; did you want six strings or maybe only four? You know in all that excitement I kinda lost track myself. But seeing how this has Magnum pickups; the most powerful in all the world, you godda ask yourself a question......

edit: no connection whatsoever with the seller.

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1324513' date='Aug 2 2011, 04:52 PM']Why?

If it's been done properly It'll not be noticeable, and I'll take playability over originality any day.[/quote]
Not for any detrimental opinion on the bass; just my nosiness. John sometimes embedded frets on his guitars in a nylon mount. I read that it was this style of his that attracted Tony Iommi to have his first custom made, the easier slope to the frets rather than a hard metal edge; he was then so impressed that he funded JB first starting up as a builder rather than repairs & pickups.
I've only seen one bass & one guitar (Dave Hill's original Superyob) with that feature & wonder how many there were, the vast majority seem to be without it, so maybe it was an optional extra.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1325158' date='Aug 3 2011, 05:16 AM']Not for any detrimental opinion on the bass; just my nosiness. John sometimes embedded frets on his guitars in a nylon mount. I read that it was this style of his that attracted Tony Iommi to have his first custom made, the easier slope to the frets rather than a hard metal edge; he was then so impressed that he funded JB first starting up as a builder rather than repairs & pickups.
I've only seen one bass & one guitar (Dave Hill's original Superyob) with that feature & wonder how many there were, the vast majority seem to be without it, so maybe it was an optional extra.[/quote]
Interesting. I've not seen this feature on any of the John Birch Guitars and Basses that I've played. Also I don't recall it being mentioned in either the John Birch catalogue that I used to own or the International Musician review of the J1 guitar.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1325510' date='Aug 3 2011, 12:19 PM']Interesting. I've not seen this feature on any of the John Birch Guitars and Basses that I've played. Also I don't recall it being mentioned in either the John Birch catalogue that I used to own or the International Musician review of the J1 guitar.[/quote]
The clue is in .....[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1325158' date='Aug 3 2011, 05:16 AM']...............the vast majority seem to be without it, so maybe it was an optional extra.[/quote]
Not a great pic but you can see the outline of them in this