Why become a member? ×

Plecky advice needed

hey there guys longtime since i have posted on here, usually i play finger style but am going for my audition for a bmus degree and thought ill play something a bit harder than im used to and also a different type of technique than im used too ..

the piece im fine with working out which is Longview by greenday whats throwing me atm is the fact that its using a plecky and since i tend to stay clear of these was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to use this technique, ways of practising or improving useing a plecky...

cheers

sparky

I actually prefer to play with a plectrum, even though I'm quite happy playing either style. Very difficult to offer advice on technique but something I have found is that many bass players assume they have to play with a heavy pick "cos they are for bass" but you should get a whole pile of them and try different types and thicknesses. I use the boring looking Jim Dunlop grey acrylic .88 type because it's very flexible and I play by holding the plectrum between the tips of my thumb and forefinger and barely moving my wrist moving my thumb and finger instead (ie. not strumming) and find it to be more sensitive.

The only other thing I found when I started is that I needed to play closer the bridge because there is less movement in the strings.

Not a great help I'm sure!

With some practice, a pick will give a real nice, consistant level.
(Especially nice for recording)

You might want to try resting the fat part of your hand
(under the little finger)
on the bridge to provide a constant point where the pick meets the strings.

This keeps the "point of attack" from moving around while your playing
(closer to the bridge p/up or closer to the neck p/up)
which will cause your tone to vary.

This also makes it easy to add a little palm mute too
by rolling your hand up onto the strings just a bit.
...works great for pounding eighth note lines.

You might also want to try a medium soft (bendable) nylon.
I found that takes out most of the "click" you'll get from a heavier (guitar) pick
and the "scrape" you'll get if you're using roundwounds.

I hope this helps!

PS- Please, let's not have this thread degenerate into another fingers vs pick debate...
:)

In recent months I've been 'experimenting' with plectrum use.

With lots of trial and error, DON'T just go for a heavy plectrum, as previously mentioned. Also, personally I've found a traditional shaped plectrum easier to use.

I've settled on:

(White) Dunlop .88mm Tortex "The Wedge". Nice texture and sound.

Good Luck

Greg

Link for ebay: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-x-dunlop-wedge-guitar-picks-0-88mm-3-79_W0QQitemZ220208278982QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220208278982"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24-x-dunlop-wedge-gu...tem220208278982[/url]

Edited by five-string.co.uk

I use a 1.5mm tortex pick, so I guess I'm firmly in the "hevvy pix am betterer" brigade :)

Check out some guitar tutorials on pick technique, if you're looking for inspiration. Everyone finds their own way to do it, so just keep practicing and making sure you don't pick up bad technique. Make sure you don't just lightly brush the string and actually make a full connection with it, try to use your wrist not your elbow.

I personally curl the fingers on my hand, then pinch the plectrum between the side of my index finger and thumb. Then I rest my little finger very lightly against the bridge (it frequently lifts off while playing) and pick by rotating the wrist. It might be worth noting however, I have poor pick technique, so this was useless :huh:

Picks are awesome, they can give you such a wide variety of tones. Props for trying to get to grips with one.

Advice I picked up from a few dedicated guitar students at a local music college was on how to grip the pick correctly (or at least one way that promotes good overall technique).

1) Fold your fingers up (e.g. form a fist, then open your hand but keeping your fingers curled/folded up)

2) You'll notice you have quite a wide flat area on the left side of your index finger (from it being curled/folded up).
--> Place the pick flush against that flat portion such that the pointed part sticks out perpendicular to the nail side

3) Cover the pick with your thumb, placing it such that the left edge of your thumb lines up with the left edge of your finger finger
--> Where exactly you place your thumb is all down to comfort. I suggest placing your thumb such that the line of the middle join of your thumb matches with the tip of your index finger and try to find a comfortable hold from there.

4) Then relax. You should find your hand will take a more natural relaxed pose but won't be too different from what it was.

Tips: Keep your fingers tucked up and don't anchor your fingers. It's much more efficient and keeps you relaxed. You really don't need to anchor either, it will slow down your progress as you'll force yourself to learn different muscle memory movements. Watch Jason Becker to see finger anchoring at its extreme and how uncomfortable it looks (not that I'm attacking his ability, but he sounds/sounded amazing and plays/played amazingly in spite of his technique rather than because of it)

Also, let the up and down motion come from the wrist, and don't try and 'muscle' your way to speed. You should always stay as relaxed as possible without losing your grip and dropping your pick.

I appreciate it's difficult to understand exactly what I mean by all this just from writing, best of luck you to you! Once you've got the basic mechanics of it you should find it's a lot easier to use a pick. They are a lot easier to start with than perhaps fingers and other tools used to make sounds (i.e. bows!)

Mark

I'm using Peavey .88 , er, green ones.
a bit like Dunlop Tortex.

I find that gauge is a good compromise for me between percussive clang, and "give" when playing fast alternating style.
but how hard you pick, and how firmly you hold the pick will affect what gauge you prefer.

Edited by SJA

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='152662' date='Mar 6 2008, 08:24 PM']I have found is that many bass players assume they have to play with a heavy pick "cos they are for bass" but you should get a whole pile of them and try different types and thicknesses.[/quote]

+1

I have only ever used picks but am starting to learn to use my fingers

I find the best pick for me is a Dava control, but i also like using the stubby triangles from time to time

[quote]I use a 1.5mm tortex pick, so I guess I'm firmly in the "hevvy pix am betterer" brigade[/quote]

Call that heavy ;) 2.0 or 3.0 mm large Dunlop Stubbie for me nowadays.

Always used to use a pick 'til we went through a bluesy phase when I started using fingers. Probably still would, though for rockier stuff a pick gives better attack IMO (and yes I know Mr Sheehan does it all with fingers ;) ), but the middle to pinkie fingers on my picking hand have started to wander with arthritis & get tangled up with each other :)

Grip wise tends to be the recalcitrant fingers curled into my palm, pick pinched between tip of forefinger and pad of thumb, outside of hand on the bridge as a mute

EDIT: Having just got back from r/h & looked at my plecky hand I realise it actually tends to float of the bridge & I do most muting with my fretting hands. Shows you how much attention I pay to what I'm doing :huh:

Edited by WalMan

Yeah I use a 2.2mm Tortex pick very very rarely...

Longview IMO is a very easy song, I recommend some easy rush stuff to show off (does that exist?) or if longview is more your level, some Chili's stuff. (By the way would be a good one with a pick, if you don't mind dropped D)

and I have no idea what the exam your going in for is? Would someone enlighten me? PM or otherwise...

• 3 weeks later...

apologies for not replying in such a while had forgotten my password and kept meaning to get it changed, cheers for all the info and advice, i didnt mean to mention about longview being the certain tune that i was going to play i should of mentioned that this was an example of tune that i was learning atm to start practising using a plecky on - also just wondering what tunes are a good choice for practising using a plecky on and also still trying to work out what tune i am going to play for my BMUS audition which i am going for in May...

cheers

sparky