Why become a member? ×

Blues Festival at the Farnham Maltings

chris_b

The Farnham Malting Blues Festival is here again, this Sunday 9th March, starting at midday and running to 11 o'clock featuring 15 bands including The Hamsters, Sam Kelly, Innes Siburn, Paul Cox and many more. I am playing 2 acoustic sets with Sonny Black and an RnB (in the old sense!) set with old Farnham favourites Hot Club. Funkmonkey (Steve) is playing as well with Ian Parker.

Edited by chris_b

A great Festival, and a little story about it.
Many years ago (about ten) I was on the road with a blues band touring Ireland and the UK. One of the gigs was at the Farnham Maltings, at the time I lived in Manchester and having been on the road for two weeks was missing my missus and new son (he's now 11 and has brother and sister) we got to the gig set up and soundchecked and off to the digs to shower etc for the gig, walking back down the road to the gig I walked through Farnham and thought to myself "what a nice place to raise a family" Do the gig, go home and think no more about it.
Spin forward 8years and I'm planning a move with the whole family as most of my gigs are now in or around London and we fly regularly from Heathrow for foreign gigs. My cousin helped us find a house in Aldershot a little cheaper than surrounding areas due to being a little scruffier and the Army association, but coming from North East Manchester it feels like a relative idyll to me. Shortly after moving down my cousin says to me "come on I'll show you the area" knowing I'm into music and playing he says I'll drive you past one of our local venues, I say "great" and off we set. I had no idea where we were going then things all of a sudden start to feel familiar, we turn a corner not 2 miles from my new house and f*** me theres the Farnham Maltings.
Me.....
Smug....
hope it wasn't too boring for you :) ;) :huh: :huh: ;) ;)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='151974' date='Mar 5 2008, 07:44 PM']A great Festival, and a little story about it.
Many years ago (about ten) I was on the road with a blues band touring Ireland and the UK. One of the gigs was at the Farnham Maltings, at the time I lived in Manchester and having been on the road for two weeks was missing my missus and new son (he's now 11 and has brother and sister) we got to the gig set up and soundchecked and off to the digs to shower etc for the gig, walking back down the road to the gig I walked through Farnham and thought to myself "what a nice place to raise a family" Do the gig, go home and think no more about it.
Spin forward 8years and I'm planning a move with the whole family as most of my gigs are now in or around London and we fly regularly from Heathrow for foreign gigs. My cousin helped us find a house in Aldershot a little cheaper than surrounding areas due to being a little scruffier and the Army association, but coming from North East Manchester it feels like a relative idyll to me. Shortly after moving down my cousin says to me "come on I'll show you the area" knowing I'm into music and playing he says I'll drive you past one of our local venues, I say "great" and off we set. I had no idea where we were going then things all of a sudden start to feel familiar, we turn a corner not 2 miles from my new house and f*** me theres the Farnham Maltings.
Me.....
Smug....
hope it wasn't too boring for you :) ;) :huh: :huh: ;) ;)[/quote]

A bit OT but welcome to the area. I've lived in or close to Farnham for most of the past 50 years.

[quote name='obbm' post='151982' date='Mar 5 2008, 07:52 PM']A bit OT but welcome to the area. I've lived in or close to Farnham for most of the past 50 years.[/quote]
OT?
occupational therapy?
occasional trousers?
old trout?
:huh:

ohhh you mean oTt :)

question... you ever been to north east Manchester?

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='152010' date='Mar 5 2008, 08:29 PM']OT?
occupational therapy?
occasional trousers?
old trout?
:huh:

ohhh you mean oTt :)

question... you ever been to north east Manchester?[/quote]

"Off topic" and yes I have.