Why become a member? ×

Need my Bif Muff Diagnosed!

civictiger

Okay, so one of my Big Muff's needs an Online BC diagnostic!

In short, I broke it when I was using a boss PSU with it (I got a cable that has PSU one 21mm one end and a 9v battery thing the other end.. worked fine with my power brick until the 9v.
So anyways I got annoyed it with turning on/off and I slammed it a little and uh-oh.

I gave it my tech at college, they fixed it (kind of)..

the LED is borked, completely.. and the pedal one works when I turn the effect ON, if the effect is off the signal chain is cut off completely, and no sound passes through.
Is it done for, or can it be repaired?

That sounds like the bypass switch is either wired incorrectly or broken.

What is the pedal worth?

It is probably only worth fixing if you can get someone to fix it for free / mates rates.

I would check the signal on a scope and see where the problem lay then change the offending component.

(But I have that sort of equipment and knowledge)
I hope that helps a little :)
Good luck

The switch would be the obvious place to start. If it's a Russian one that's been modded I seem to remember that this particular pedal needs +ve centre supply as opposed to the usual Boss -ve centre.

Either way banging it around won't help. :)

What would Chris Wolstenholme do? Hmm?

Well.
Working back through what you've said here, it seems that the problem came about after stomping on the switch a little too hard.
At a rough guess I'd say you've knocked the back of the switch off and the college techs have either replaced the switch with one that either doesn't quite match the original one, wired it wrong or have had a go at repairing the original switch and haven't quite managed it.

I'd start off replacing the switch to get you back to square one and then take a look at the power issue from that point.

As far as the power issue goes, if the unit powered up then the polarity was set right.
If it kept cutting out then either the wrong size barrel plug was used, the cable is damaged or the socket on the pedal was intermittant in some way.

Thanks for the replies guys

It is a Russian model, yes.. I should have stated a bit clearer!!

so I need a +ve centre?
Also I noticed my dad who had a quick look at it (but isnt too electrical spec, he's all wood work!) says that the switch needs 2 things not 1., altho I cannot rememebr what 'things' he said they were, haha.