Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN

Skezza

Hi

I have a bass guitar with 2 passive emg hzs wired to two push pull volume pots no tone pots

The guitar has the follwowing issues

1 very loud hum when both volumes are turned off

2 medium loud hum when both or either volumes are turned up full

3 little hum when either or both of the volume pots are pulled up to coil tap the humbuckers

there is no situation where i get no hum

when I looked in side for both pickups the black wire is hot the green wire is connected to the bare wire and goes to earth and the red and white are joined (and then connected to the coil tap push pull switch)

ALL LOOKS GOOD SO FAR

BUT

when i lift the pickups the wire comes out of the top of one and the botton of the other

does this mean i need to turn the humbucker through 180 degrees could this be the problem

skez

Edited by Skezza

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1313745' date='Jul 23 2011, 12:58 PM']Could the grounding wire to the bridge be broken?[/quote]

it could be but it isnt and the hum does not reduce when you touch the strings

skez

Is there a ground (earth) wire running from the pickups to the strings? I'm pretty sure that all EMG's are internally shielded and you actually aren't supposed to run a string ground with them. If you [i]have[/i] a string ground that could be what is causing the problem.

Is the entire control cavity shielded (with either shielding paint or copper tape)? Are all the earth connections well-made and do they all end up going to the ground on the jack?

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1314584' date='Jul 24 2011, 11:27 AM']Redo your soldering, sounds like some bad joints in there.[/quote]
I intend to redo all the soldering and check the polarity issue when I get a day off work
skez