Why become a member? ×

Brain freeze - string length?

Dave Vader

Once again I need a new set of flats for another bass project. Once again I have forgotten what length strings I normally get for a P-bass (don't buy them very often, they're flats, keep throwing the empty boxes away).
Thought I'd get some status hotwires this time, so what length do I need for a top-loader P-bass? Is it Long, or Medium? (can't remember the exact names status give them, as the site appears to be dead.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1312560' date='Jul 22 2011, 11:47 AM']medium or long should both be fine. There's not a lot in it really. It's when you go to proper long scale (35" and up) that you end up wasting hundreds of pounds on so called long scale strings.[/quote]

So I can get the £3 cheaper Medium scale ones and be okay on a standard scale P? I do hope that works.... :)

Thanks.

Short scale 30" - mustang bass, danelectro longhorn
Medium scale - 32" - Daisy Rock Elite, Some unusual Fenders - Stu Hamm (?)
Long scale - 34" - Fender Jazz, Fender Precision, Gibson Thunderbird
Extra Long - 35" - Lakland 5ers

If you go for 32" medium strings on a Precision you *might* get away with it, and then the silks *might* go over the nut.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1312799' date='Jul 22 2011, 02:57 PM']Short scale 30" - mustang bass, danelectro longhorn
Medium scale - 32" - Daisy Rock Elite, Some unusual Fenders - Stu Hamm (?)
Long scale - 34" - Fender Jazz, Fender Precision, Gibson Thunderbird
Extra Long - 35" - Lakland 5ers

If you go for 32" medium strings on a Precision you *might* get away with it, and then the silks *might* go over the nut.[/quote]

Thanks JLP, shan't risk it, Long Scale it is, need more than 1/2 a wrap on the Machine Head, and silks off the nut.