Why become a member? ×

Understanding Music

Thurbs

Hi all. I boldly suggested to our band that we should cover Muse Hyper Music as I love it... and to my surprise they agreed!

My first reaction was one of horror as the bass line sounds horribly complex... however when you break it down you realise there is just 2 chords. The main rift is just two bars of a D- run + 2 bars of C- run. The other bits are just a play on the D- scale.

So by understanding some music theory, scales and composition, it has allowed me to put the rythem on a lead sheet together with the structure and chords. I was expecting it to take me days and in about 15 mins I have most of it done. I just need to get my fingers around the rythmic neuances and then I am pretty much there.

I am no pro by any stretch but the the more I learn, the more I realise that learning more helps massively in all sorts of ways....!

Yours smugly...

Good for you mate.

Pattern recognition is rarely mentioned but it's essential, and if you can elevate your PR skills to more and more complex music, you will develop a very good ear and memory and be able to learn compositions much more quickly. And it's mostly about breaking things down like you did. I think my memory is starting to fail me these days :)

Edited by silddx

[quote name='GЯДИК' post='1308090' date='Jul 18 2011, 05:00 PM']The guitar part though sounding more simple is actually harder to play! The bassline indeed sounds complex but is pretty easy really[/quote]

It's the really fast strumming on the top 3 strings that gets me, I keep loosing grip on the pick. But yeah, the bassline is nice and easy and fun to play.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1308098' date='Jul 18 2011, 05:07 PM']It's the really fast strumming on the top 3 strings that gets me, I keep loosing grip on the pick. But yeah, the bassline is nice and easy and fun to play.[/quote]

It's the chord changes in a pretty cramped area that gets me!

Not knowing it, just tubed the song, and yes, its a nice one for a bass player to cover

My problem is I recognise patterns when I hear songs and sit down work them out, I just don't know what alot of the the scales are called beyond basic major and minor, don't seem to need to for what I do, but it would be nice