Why become a member? ×

Bass hit the floor!

Jayfaedoom

I have a Warwick Streamer and yesterday when i was practising and playing about with my bass pod it fell off me and hit the floor. I thought "bugger, strap must a broken" But alas no, the strap didn't break the rear strap button came out of the body, lncluding the screw and everything. I tried to just screw the screw back in but alas it just spins and spins.

So how do i fix this?

i guess either a fatter screw, or fill it with summit and use the screw i have

any advice on this would be great as using duct tape the now makes it look horrible.

cheers

[quote name='Jayfaedoom' post='150232' date='Mar 3 2008, 11:36 AM']I have a Warwick Streamer and yesterday when i was practising and playing about with my bass pod it fell off me and hit the floor. I thought "bugger, strap must a broken" But alas no, the strap didn't break the rear strap button came out of the body, lncluding the screw and everything. I tried to just screw the screw back in but alas it just spins and spins.

So how do i fix this?

i guess either a fatter screw, or fill it with summit and use the screw i have

any advice on this would be great as using duct tape the now makes it look horrible.

cheers[/quote]

Ouchy! Still, "relic" is the new buzz word apparently! :)

In terms of the strap button, pretty easy to fix. The quickest is to use a slightly fatter longer screw but this may not go through the button itself.

Alternatively, get a matchstick and split it length ways so you're able to pack a sliver of wood into the hole. Then simply screw the button back into the bass. What the sliver of matchstick does is to compress some more wood into the hole so that the screw can "bite" again (a little like how a rawlplug works). The important thing to remember is not to overtighten the screw though.

HTH

Tony (aka "Bass Bodger")

That happened to me once, just as i'd walked on stage. THe strp button was the least of my worries, I was more worried about the fact that some of the electrics 'poured' over the floor from where the jack had hit the floor and rammed itself inside the body.

I found the best way to repair the strap button was to use the existing screw, but i put a two part epoxy resin into the hole, let it start to set and then screwed the screw back in. Be carefull to quickly wipe of any excess though. I couldn't take the strap buttons out now even if I wanted to.

If you used matchsticks/cocktail sticks I hope you did as Bass Ferret suggested and use PVA, otherwise there is a chance the same thing can happen again.

Edited by gilmour