Why become a member? ×

Passive bass with single split coil pup

Paul S

As per title, really. I am picking up a Westone Thunder Jet soon (after having recently had one but sold it - long story) which I will probably be pimping a bit.

Arguably the best option would be J-East P-Retro but that might be a tad too dear for the project (bass is costing under £80, although it should be good quality)

Maybe the guts out of it's cousin, a Thunder 1A, but I'd need to be lucky to find a breaker.

Are there any other simple (and relatively inexpensive) onboard preamps out there for single pups? I had an Artec SE-2 fitted into a bass and it worked a treat but they don't seem to do a single pup version - could a kit like that be adapted for just one pup?

Or an active pup rather than a preamp? Never played a bass with these - how does it compare?

Thanks!

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' post='1303575' date='Jul 14 2011, 02:33 PM']As per title, really. I am picking up a Westone Thunder Jet soon (after having recently had one but sold it - long story) which I will probably be pimping a bit.

Arguably the best option would be J-East P-Retro but that might be a tad too dear for the project (bass is costing under £80, although it should be good quality)

Maybe the guts out of it's cousin, a Thunder 1A, but I'd need to be lucky to find a breaker.

Are there any other simple (and relatively inexpensive) onboard preamps out there for single pups? I had an Artec SE-2 fitted into a bass and it worked a treat but they don't seem to do a single pup version - could a kit like that be adapted for just one pup?

Or an active pup rather than a preamp? Never played a bass with these - how does it compare?

Thanks![/quote]

You can easily use an SE-2 - just ditch the blend - remove the wires from the blend circuit board and attach them directly to the pickup.

Ah, that'll probably be my course of action then. Thanks. Well, when I say 'my' course of action I mean the guy who does my repairs etc 'cos I am hopeless at that kind of stuff.

Is routing out for a battery compartment difficult, do you know?

No pg on these, so it is routing out at the back.

I'm picking it up on Sunday, so will live with it for a while and see if it is one I will want to pick up a lot. If so I might even take the P-Retro out of my Scavenger, which I don't use much as it is too heavy.

Thanks all.

A very quick update on this, in case anyone is remotely interested :)

I picked up the Washburn Thunder Jet last week and it was a mess - not seen a duster for maybe 20 yrs, the neck was bowed and filthy, the bridge saddles were lying flat on the body and to compensate the neck plate had been loosened to stop the buzzing ( :) ), the volume knob missing. But, apart from a few dings, nicks and scrapes, plus the inevitable buckle rash, it wasn't that bad. I took it to bits, gave a good clean and polish and have to say it has come out pretty well - a real diamond in the rough. As you would expect from a Westone, the neck is pretty damned good. More to the point, it weighs almost bang on 8lbs, so extremely lightweight (unlike the Thunder 1A) and very comfortable.

Meanwhile, I used my Washburn Scavenger (11lbs +) for rehearsal last week and as expected found it too heavy to wear for long now that I have a dodgy back. This afternoon I did the transplant - removed the Kent Armstrong pickup and P-Retro pre-amp from the Scavenger and put them into the Thunder Jet. I was extremely nervous as I have never done anything like that before but was tempted by the solder-free transfer afforded by the East gear. Anyway, a little judicious use of the chisel allowed room to fit it all in the little existing cutaway, all secured and charged up, added a Gotoh-a-like high mass bridge and some new strings, set it all up as best I could and plugged it. All I need to do now is to fit the black stacked knobs (on their way).

Anyway, just 'Wow'. I can hardly believe how great it sounds - it is immense at practice levels. Just huge, with a variety of tones you would never expect. Well, I wouldn't anyway. I can hardly wait to use it for rehearsal/gig to put it through it's paces. Westone are renowned for making superb quality instruments, the electrics on this model were always thought to let the side down - problem solved. And great to have another lightweight bass option with it's own identity - a quality instrument for not a lot of money (bass cost £77 on eBay, P-Retro £120 from here some while back, bridge £18, knobs £20).

Once the knobs are on, I'll take a couple of pics.

Here it is. Or she, I have called her 'Rosie' as in 'Whole Lotta Rosie'... to misquote -
'She ain't exactly pretty
Ain't exactly small
with an onboard preamp and high mass bridge
You could say she's got it all!

A wolf in sheeps clothing - the only tell-tale signs there is anything unusual going on in this tatty old girl are the stacked knobs, bridge and, round the back, a small LED in the middle of the control panel cover that lets you know the state of charging. New Kent Armstrong pickup is hiding under the original covers

Rehearsal tonight - can't wait to put her through her paces.