Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Super Flightcase

Wylie

I'm sure the Phil Jones amps have been reviewed here, probably more than once, but because yesterday I had a question answered definitively, at least for me, I thought I should pass it on. The question: can the PJ Super Flightcase carry its weight in an outdoor setting? The answer was a resounding no.

The Flightcase is a 250-watt combo with six five-inch speakers. The player, in a band with a (snare) drum, two guitars, and a singer, was playing a Fender P-bass at medium-high volume, and while the tone was very nice, the sound did not carry well at all beyond about ten feet. When he played harder and a little louder, the speakers clipped. I was unloading equipment in the grass behind the performers, so I got a close listen there; I also listened from out front.

The amp didn't have big competition: the electric guitar amp was tiny -- all but a practice amp -- and the singer's acoustic was routed through the cab he was singing through, a ten- or twelve-inch cab.

I'd seriously considered a Flightcase but now it seems clear that an indoor setting and a smaller room would be the best venue for these.

TG

Edited by tedgilley

Its hardly surprising, the super flight case has 4 forward facing speakers and two facing upwards for monitoring. IIRC Phil Jones says 8 5 in speakers is roughly equivalent to a 2x10 so what you heard was an outdoor gig using the equivalent 1x10

If I were playing an outdoor gig, I would probably not use my 8b, but something more powerfull. As a pjb user of about 6 months, they are great amps, but they dont work miracles.

My 8b is remarkably good for its size and weight, but like everything its a compromise between size weight and volume. If you heard one of the larger pirana rigs with 25 odd speakers, it would have blown your ears off

[quote name='bumnote' post='1300570' date='Jul 12 2011, 02:13 AM']Its hardly surprising, the super flight case has 4 forward facing speakers and two facing upwards for monitoring. IIRC Phil Jones says 8 5 in speakers is roughly equivalent to a 2x10 so what you heard was an outdoor gig using the equivalent 1x10

If I were playing an outdoor gig, I would probably not use my 8b, but something more powerfull. As a pjb user of about 6 months, they are great amps, but they dont work miracles.

My 8b is remarkably good for its size and weight, but like everything its a compromise between size weight and volume. If you heard one of the larger pirana rigs with 25 odd speakers, it would have blown your ears off[/quote]

This is interesting, thanks. What I really don't understand is how a five-inch speaker -- or an array of them -- can handle the extremely low vibrations of a bass. It seems like clipping would be inevitable at a certain point, when volume demands pushed the speaker to its physical limits.

TG

[quote name='tedgilley' post='1301637' date='Jul 12 2011, 09:42 PM']This is interesting, thanks. What I really don't understand is how a five-inch speaker -- or an array of them -- can handle the extremely low vibrations of a bass. It seems like clipping would be inevitable at a certain point, when volume demands pushed the speaker to its physical limits.

TG[/quote]

I use an 8b which has 8 speakers in it and if I play where other bass players are, they invariably come and comment they cant beleive the sound that comes out of such tiny speakers. As someone who has used mainly 15s in the past its a revalation to me as well. I cant explain the maths. It has good projection, and I beleive its something to do with using multiple speakers.

Before this I had for smaller gigs an ashdown mini 4x8 which is also remakble pokey, probably much louder, but without the range the pjb stuff has. Have a look at some of the reviews on the web site under the neo speakers range, and you will see the claimed specifications

The stuff is very well engineered and designed, and does work. He is growing the range, and has gone from the very small, to [url="http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=99"]http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=99[/url]

My goal was to reduce weight and get a portable rig, and leave my monster 2x15 at home for all but a few gigs. I could have probably achieved the same goal by going with a 2x12 or a BFM set up.

[quote name='tedgilley' post='1301637' date='Jul 12 2011, 09:42 PM']This is interesting, thanks. What I really don't understand is how a five-inch speaker -- or an array of them -- can handle the extremely low vibrations of a bass. It seems like clipping would be inevitable at a certain point, when volume demands pushed the speaker to its physical limits.

TG[/quote]

I use an 8b which has 8 speakers in it and if I play where other bass players are, they invariably come and comment they cant beleive the sound that comes out of such tiny speakers. As someone who has used mainly 15s in the past its a revalation to me as well. I cant explain the maths. It has good projection, and I beleive its something to do with using multiple speakers.

Before this I had for smaller gigs an ashdown mini 4x8 which is also remakble pokey, probably much louder, but without the range the pjb stuff has. Have a look at some of the reviews on the web site under the neo speakers range, and you will see the claimed specifications

The stuff is very well engineered and designed, and does work. He is growing the range, and has gone from the very small, to [url="http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=99"]http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=99[/url]

My goal was to reduce weight and get a portable rig, and leave my monster 2x15 at home for all but a few gigs. I could have probably achieved the same goal by going with a 2x12 or a BFM set up.

[quote name='bumnote' post='1301721' date='Jul 12 2011, 06:02 PM']I use an 8b which has 8 speakers in it and if I play where other bass players are, they invariably come and comment they cant beleive the sound that comes out of such tiny speakers. As someone who has used mainly 15s in the past its a revalation to me as well. I cant explain the maths. It has good projection, and I beleive its something to do with using multiple speakers.

My goal was to reduce weight and get a portable rig, and leave my monster 2x15 at home for all but a few gigs. I could have probably achieved the same goal by going with a 2x12 or a BFM set up.[/quote]

Thanks for this information. I will plug into a PJB when I can find one; trouble is, getting to one! Not many PJB dealers in this neck of the woods.

TG

I've used my 6t 9b combo outside without going through the PA and kept up with drummer mic'd and 2x12 guitar rig and vocals and keyboards through 500+500W PA. As Bumnote said, people are often put-off by PJ gear thinking that the tiny cabs are going to be ridiculously loud, and that's not what phil's trying to do. His cabs are all about build and sound quality, not volume. Having said this they're still plenty loud enough if used in the right situation (i regularly get commented on my 4B running alone and by my larger rig, because i use them where they're suited, people mostly comment on the crystal clear sound throughout the whole room without being overwhelming nearer to the stage).

You shouldn't be surprised that the 5" drivers can go low, it's all about power handling and surface area. 4*5" drivers have the same surface area as 1x10", and at 100W RMS each, often better power handling. Where the smaller drivers have the upper hand is in their transient response - much smaller and lighter, so each driver reacts much quicker, and more uniformaly over that 100 square inch area than a 1x10, where the driver is comparatively heavier and has greater diameter, causing less uniform response from the central drive point. This creates the clearer, punchier sound, which is therefore more defined.