Why become a member? ×

***SOLD*** OLP MM2 Stingray, fretless, with real Stingray preamp and Nordstrand pickup.

mcnach

After some scary car repairs I need to rationalise (read "cut") my collection to justify recent GAS, and very reluctantly I'm putting this bass for sale. I have three fretless basses, and it's the Precision that gets the sound that I need for the band (one with rounds, one with nylon tapewounds)... and this one seems to be the one I'm more comfortable with (Stingray/OLP dimensions, my usual basses) yet the one I play the least.

It started life as a standard fretted OLP MM2.
I had it defretted and some dark blue veneers put in place of the fret slots, then planed and oil satin finished, by a local luthier. This was done only a few months ago.

I replaced the original pickup with a [b]Nordstrand MM4.2[/b] alnico pickup, which is wired in parallel as on a Stingray. The pickup alone costs £100 + postage at BassDirect.
I also installed a [b]2-band preamp that was originally in a 2002 MusicMan Stingray[/b], with a battery box located at the back (a Gotoh, hinge style, just like the ones on moderm MusicMan basses)

The neck is a bit slimmer than on a Stingray and has had the edges carefully rolled. It plays beautifully and the fingerboard is smooth and in excellent condition.

I'm looking for [b]£225[/b], including delivery in mainland UK.

PM if interested. Part exchange may be possible but there isn't much I am after at the moment and I can really use the cash.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Krinks' post='1313934' date='Jul 23 2011, 04:40 PM']I need a quicksale just to buy that one..AMAZING colour[/quote]

yeah, it's an unusual colour. I think it was bluer than that originally but must have been by the window for a long time and turn more greenish (it's bluer under the pickguard). Prettier like this :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='badboy1984' post='1330262' date='Aug 6 2011, 07:48 PM']give me sometime to think about this one, bloody tempting for a electric fretless bass, i want one to add to my collection ......[/quote]
Have seen and played most of Jose's basses while he very kindly fitted a J east pre amp in my bass,All very well cared for and every one of them played like a dream.
So buy with confidence.....John

[quote name='badboy1984' post='1330262' date='Aug 6 2011, 07:48 PM']give me sometime to think about this one, bloody tempting for a electric fretless bass, i want one to add to my collection ......[/quote]

well, you know where to find me :)

[quote name='haimesy' post='1330665' date='Aug 7 2011, 10:06 AM']Have seen and played most of Jose's basses while he very kindly fitted a J east pre amp in my bass,All very well cared for and every one of them played like a dream.
So buy with confidence.....John[/quote]

Thank you for the kind words, John.
It was a pleasure to hear what these bases can sound like in the hands of somebody who truly knows what to do with them! :)

Glad you're enjoying the preamp in the Lakland. It really made it come alive, didn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

It seems it attracts some attention, but no buyers... :)

I just advertised it locally and son might try eBay.

By October I will not be needing the cash... but I'm quite sure I will not be keeping this bass. I just enjoy the woody thump of a fretless P-bass with flats more.
So... if it's not sold by then, I will entertain all kinds of offers of exchanges etc

[quote name='bassatnight' post='1343491' date='Aug 17 2011, 06:32 PM']If you ever get bored with your Fretless P do let me know ;o)[/quote]

I imagine you are talking about the CIJ Fender... it sounds great (I have Status flats on it now) and it's such a beauty... It's just the sound I'm after on a fretless at the moment so very unlikely to be on the market anytime soon :)
But I'll make a note and will let you know if something changes in the future. :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1347690' date='Aug 22 2011, 01:13 AM']I imagine you are talking about the CIJ Fender... it sounds great (I have Status flats on it now) and it's such a beauty... It's just the sound I'm after on a fretless at the moment so very unlikely to be on the market anytime soon :)
But I'll make a note and will let you know if something changes in the future. :)[/quote]
Hi Jose....I am loving the DJ5 with pre amp,and is now NO1 bass...Have a bump...John

[quote name='haimesy' post='1349402' date='Aug 23 2011, 08:19 PM']Hi Jose....I am loving the DJ5 with pre amp,and is now NO1 bass...Have a bump...John[/quote]

Glad the love story continues :)

(and thank you!)

• 1 month later...