Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Artstar AB100 1980 MIJ

Liking this - any Ibby opinions on the price?

Okay it's a different model, but I got my Ibanez Roadster RS800 (also made in 1980) for £180 odd on e-bay, was I just lucky or is this one here overpriced?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280707130888&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:RTQ:GB:1123[/url]

[quote name='Jigster' post='1298368' date='Jul 9 2011, 04:31 PM']Liking this - any Ibby opinions on the price?

Okay it's a different model, but I got my Ibanez Roadster RS800 (also made in 1980) for £180 odd on e-bay, was I just lucky or is this one here overpriced?[/quote]
Well, the Artstar name didn't appear until the late 80s, and this particular bass model didn't appear until circa '87, so I'd question the details in the ad. The Artist guitar series was in its infancy in '80, with the first AM (semi-solid, aka Stagemaster) versions not appearing until '82. There's no questioning that the AM guitar and AMB bass models are somewhat rare, but circa £700 is well over what these AB100 basses sell for in Japan (circa £300).

[quote name='Jigster' post='1305065' date='Jul 15 2011, 06:46 PM']looks like it's sold anyways up[/quote]
Well, lets hope the buyer doesn't get p*ssed when they work out it's not an August '80 by Fugigen but an '88 by Terada.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='1306357' date='Jul 17 2011, 01:23 AM']Well, lets hope the buyer doesn't get p*ssed when they work out it's not an August '80 by Fugigen but an '88 by Terada.[/quote]

I agree with you that the Artstar line didn't appear until the mid or late 80s, yet I can see why the seller said 1980, as the serial number indicates that.

Any suggestion why that might be the case? I know bugger all about old Japanese basses, so I'm really curious about what the story is here.