Why become a member? ×

USA Fender Precision 2009 custom 50th anniversary

ingenius

Guys,
have been meaning to start this thread for a while now SO, i will start with a little history and background.
Firstly the term "50th anniversary" has nothing to do with the bass guitar.. oh no ! it was my 50th anniversary of being born this year. So i decided on something special from me, to me!
Last year I bought a second hand USA precision from a fellow BC`er, which from hereon in will be known as the DONOR. This is the first picture i shall attach below. Its a blizzard pearl made in late 2008 but built to latest 2009 spec with high mass bridge and all the other improvements that Fender made over the previous model, and the neck in rosewood. I liked this bass, the sound was great but i couldnt get on with the neck and the colour... one day i loved it the next i hated it, this went on for weeks.
It was doing my head in but it had an inherent likeability to it. About that time i was having a neck re-finished on my Stingray at DW Guitars in Haltwhistle Northumberland. David Wilsons work is impecable and he showed me a P bass he had built with his own custom made neck that had been manufactured on a CNC machine and hand finished. The patern was an original Vintage fender neck profile that had been measured and plotted on a computerised co-ordinate measuring machine. As soon as I picked it up and felt the neck i knew what was missing from my own precision
The plan was discussed some weeks later and we decided that the build would take place this year from March onwards and would take as long as was necessary, as DW is a very busy man and his work is rightly in high demand.
The Specification brief was:
New custom neck in maple with plain dot inlay finished in HI Gloss laquer
Full use of original Hardware, bridge, Tuners, strap pins , knobs etc
Full colour change ( strip sand and repaint and polish) from Blizzard pearl to Candy Apple Red.
Renew Pots to CTS and replace standard with hi quality input jack.
Replace standard pick ups with Lindy Fralins.
So at long last i pick it up next week July 14th and we have some " along the way " photos that DW is going to give me to post for the build diary. So that is it for now till next week, Here is a photo of the Donor.
regards
Keith M
[attachment=84244:P1000800.JPG]

[quote name='gary mac' post='1298350' date='Jul 9 2011, 05:17 PM']Looking forward to seeing the finished job.

Love Candy Apple Red, what about pickguard, staying as is or being changed?[/quote]

Hi there,
Pickguard is staying in Gold, i have had some pictures of the finished bass and it looks awesome. Cant wait to post some first hand and the along the way piccys
regards
Keith M

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1313313' date='Jul 22 2011, 09:54 PM']We want to see these "more photos"! Looks nice :)[/quote]
sorry Edward i will get lots more up when i have the inbetween photos arrive from DW
here is a link to a better photo though
regards
Keith M

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=84758"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=84758[/url]