Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB5PII - should I or shouldn't I?

Bassonata

Hi everybody,

I'm very close to finalising my choice of a new 5 string. But there's one model I haven't yet been able to get my hands on: it's the TRB5PII, one of Yamaha's higher end models with the piezo pickups. I haven't been able to find one to try yet, but would like to rule it out (or in) before I make my decision.

In your opinion:
• Is this [i]really[/i] an instrument to die for at the price, when there are so many worthy alternatives available these days?
• Can anyone recommend where to go to try one (or even buy one)? They seem like gold dust here in the UK at the moment.
• Is this model so much better than the lower-range TRB models at less than half the price?

I probably wouldn't have thought to even consider a Yamaha if it wasn't for the fact that everywhere I look, owners think the TRB5PII is the bees knees. Hence, I really need to put my curiosity to bed before I make a decision.

Is this a bass worth hanging in for at the price, in your opinion?

Grateful for any thoughts.

Yes you should try one , I have one , and it bloody great!

I have a Trb 1005 as well which is now kept as stage second bass.

Differences between the two that I feel make a difference are , piezo pick up does add another dimension to the sound , turn up the piezo and a hint of chorus and you have a lively Mark King Level 42 sound!
Thru neck does add sustain and the ebony fret board seems to me to add more depth to the tone.

Nick Fyffe ( ex Jamoroquai bassist) has one , and used it on several tracks studio and live I believe.

I find that I can pretty much get any sound I want , and it does sit well in the band 35' scale good B.

String spacing is slightly closer than the TRB 1005 which is odd , but you soon get used to it.

I have the the Maple version of the TRB5PII which I think is quite light the Ovangol version may be heavier , they dont come up very often on here but expect to pay between £900 to £1200 second hand .

All in all a great all round bass , I dont think I will be moving mine on at all in the near future , in fact I'm off to play her at practice now !!! :)

Heck, thanks everybody for the input. Seems like this is one good example of how it should be done.

Or was. I've just read on TalkBass that production may actually have been withdrawn, though the only real hint of this I can find is on Yamaha's Canadian website which does indeed show it as 'Discontinued'.

So I guess they may have either stopped making these, or are no longer producing enough to export globally.

Maybe a reflection of the effects of the tsumani... or the global economy...?

What a shame. :)

[quote name='Bassonata' post='1297014' date='Jul 8 2011, 11:59 AM']Heck, thanks everybody for the input. Seems like this is one good example of how it should be done.

Or was. I've just read on TalkBass that production may actually have been withdrawn, though the only real hint of this I can find is on Yamaha's Canadian website which does indeed show it as 'Discontinued'.

So I guess they may have either stopped making these, or are no longer producing enough to export globally.

Maybe a reflection of the effects of the tsumani... or the global economy...?

What a shame. :)[/quote]

I think Yamaha are re-vamping their bass gear (albeit at a very very slow pace!) I was told a new RBX has been in the works since the 774 and 775 were discontinued all those years ago!

And the TRB1000s were discontinued and brought back as the TRB1000Js with a 3 piece neck instead of a one piece neck

So it could be they are having a little over look and being changed spec wise slightly!