Why become a member? ×

Overwater by Tanglewood innards

stringintheshade

Just got my OW/T Classic J and there was something rattling around the innards. I whipped off the control plate to sort it out; luckily it was only a spare scratchplate screw rolling around. If it was an active bass, I'd have been worried about something shorting.

There was a good pinch of authentic poplar sawdust in there, too, so it looks like electronics are done in the near vicinity of the joinery jigs.

It's a beautiful looking instrument. Sounds A1, though the action as set is a tad high for my liking so I'll be going about that next.

Thought someone might like to see the innards revealed. l-r vol, pup, tone. The smaller middle pot moves you from P to J pup but has the bigger knob.

Edited by stringintheshade

[quote name='stringintheshade' post='1293455' date='Jul 5 2011, 02:38 PM']The smaller middle pot moves you from P to J pup but has the bigger knob.[/quote]
*snigger*

I do want to try one of those out at some point, they must absolutely blitz Squiers.

Now with 10x reduced image MB having just read the thread about server space

I was about to grab a Squier VM before this popped up. Glad I did, even though I pushed my budget a bit. Having the P/J pups makes it much more versatile which is just what I wanted.

It's a passive, but even so, the signal seems very quiet. Doesn't bother me as I'm generally going straight into an M-Audio card. Not helped with the action / height of pups so I'll try tweaking about a bit.

Very pretty in all its infinite blackness

[quote name='Machines' post='1294383' date='Jul 6 2011, 09:49 AM']Those internal pots (square blue with white centres) are individual pickup output levels aren't they ? Will be interesting to see what tweaking them does to the overall tone.[/quote]

I'm not sure. I asked OW for some guidance and was advised that a PDF to explain the EQ system would appear on the website but I've not seen it yet.

[quote name='ead' post='1295393' date='Jul 6 2011, 11:18 PM']I'm not sure. I asked OW for some guidance and was advised that a PDF to explain the EQ system would appear on the website but I've not seen it yet.[/quote]

If you look at the 18 min vid on YouTube, yer man twiddles with them to set them up someway through the vid. IIRC they just set the overall level for each pup. He turns them anticlockwise fully then each one clockwise equally.