Why become a member? ×

Can I install an active preamp into a passive bass?

megallica

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1291894' date='Jul 4 2011, 10:39 AM']It really depends on the preamp you choose and whether the control cavity is big enough to house a 9v battery.

If not, there are always external preamps you can use, such as the Sadwosky.[/quote]

Ok thanks, assuming the control cavity was big enough, would I need a new control knob?

[quote name='megallica' post='1291948' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:19 AM']Ok thanks, assuming the control cavity was big enough, would I need a new control knob?[/quote]
Again, it depends what you're putting in. If your bass has vol tone and three way switch you'd probably look at putting in a stacked pot for treble and bass cut and boost. What is in the bass currently and what do you have in mind?

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1291958' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:25 AM']Again, it depends what you're putting in. If your bass has vol tone and three way switch you'd probably look at putting in a stacked pot for treble and bass cut and boost. What is in the bass currently and what do you have in mind?[/quote]

I think it's just standard passive Yamaha jazz and split p pickup.

open the back and see if you can wedge a battery in. also bare in mind that the pots have chipboards attatched and wont retrofit some models due to the depth of the cavity. I recently installed a john east j-retro to my jazz and its breathed new life into it, they also makes models without the control plate which would be suitable for you bass. Im sure if you asked they could send precise measurements so you could be sure. There are however plenty of options out there!