Why become a member? ×

Hi Guys,

Thinking that I've not used my Raven Labs PHA-1 headphone practice amp for ages, may be some one else would have more use for it. Its the best headphone amp I've used and cost £220 a few years ago. Looking for trades potentially.

Cheers,
Lee

Edited by Lee-Man

[quote name='BassBod' post='1291943' date='Jul 4 2011, 11:15 AM']When you say trades....[/quote]

Not too sure really, its not been used for so long, just seems to be a waste sat in a draw.

hit me with what you've got.

For those not in the know about these ace little boxes here's some stuff from [url="http://www.bryanbeller.com/music/toysintheattic.html#7"]http://www.bryanbeller.com/music/toysintheattic.html#7[/url]

"Raven Labs PHA-1 Headphone Amp

When Steve Rabe, original designer and founder of SWR, set out to make small utility-oriented products under the guise of his new company, Raven Labs, I really didn't know what to expect. From the creator of the SM-400, I should have known better.

This little preamp/headphone amp has become an essential part of my practice regimen. I plug my bass into it and out comes the great old SWR sound. Then I mix in a stereo source (independently adjustable with left and right level controls)…and instantly it sounds like I'm playing inside the track. The first time I tried this was at Steve's workbench while the product was still in development. I put on Disc 3 of the Steely Dan box set and began playing along with "Kid Charlemagne." By the time I got up, forty-five minutes had passed. Silent practicing now sounds and feels better than playing along with a track out loud. It's remarkable. I've said as much in a quote Steve eventually used in an ad that ran in Bass Player.

I also use it in the studio. Generally I like to play in the control room, because bass never sounds right through the cue mix from the board, and being in the same room as the drummer just makes it worse. But sometimes even the control room mix doesn't pop the bass like I need it (often the bass is too "thick" because the monitoring system reproduces it unusually well). So I'll take a line out of either the Mo' Bass head or the bass channels from the board itself, run that signal through the PHA-1's preamp, and dial in just enough level in the headphone output to cut above the mix from the control room's main monitors.

This is an incredibly useful and versatile piece of gear. I've never said this about anything because subjectivity usually prevents it from applying, but in this case it doesn't: every bass player should own one of these"