Why become a member? ×

truss rod adjustment

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1290499' date='Jul 2 2011, 09:07 PM']Just loosened the truss rod on my Ibanez by a quarter turn to give the neck a bit of relief (ooh er, missus) How long will it be before I can tell if its worked?[/quote]

As long as it takes you to remeasure the gap at the point you previously measured :)

You can actually watch the relief change as you turn the Allen key.
What you might be getting confused with is whether or not the change is stable (chances are that if you are tweaking a previously perfectly playable bass then it will be). You will often read from the keen DIYers on here saying to give it a quarter turn then leave it for a day - well that's fine if you've got a week to set your relief. In my experience, you adjust the neck to the required relief then tune it all up, maybe go for another tweak if required then retune... if it's out the following day, just do it again.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1290525' date='Jul 2 2011, 09:34 PM']You can actually watch the relief change as you turn the Allen key.
What you might be getting confused with is whether or not the change is stable (chances are that if you are tweaking a previously perfectly playable bass then it will be). You will often read from the keen DIYers on here saying to give it a quarter turn then leave it for a day - well that's fine if you've got a week to set your relief. In my experience, you adjust the neck to the required relief then tune it all up, maybe go for another tweak if required then retune... if it's out the following day, just do it again.[/quote]

Thanks Ou7shined

While not actually being able to see it change as I turned the Allen key, it did move slightly within a few minutes. It had a slight backwards bend before, causing a little fret buzz, now it seems dead straight. Ill check again tomorrow and if need be, give it another quarter turn.