Why become a member? ×

has anyone bought a bass tubescreamer?

nash

Not tried the new Ibanez one, but I have the Xotic BB Preamp which is effectively a tubescreamer tuned for bass. The new Ibanez bass TS does have a blend but I'm not really a fan of blended overdrive. Blended fuzz / distortion however is another matter!

I've moved over to building BB Pre-amp clones as well now!
It has a second op-amp chip to give active bass and treble controls but as danny says its essentially the same circuit as the tubescreamer. Its a lovely pedal but I've not stuck a bass thru it yet, or tried any mods. The active tone circuit gives it the edge over the tubescreamer's tone pot.

I've tried the Bass Tubescreamer as well as the BB9 (Bottom Booster?) - its a pretty cool overdrive, the mix is kinda strange though as it seems that (at least the one I tried) the sound was always driven no matter where the mix was set but it DID provide a bigger variation of tone.

Just as befits a tubescreamer, there it a mid hump. This could be ideal if you need a mid-heavy overdrive to cut through the mix. I was quite impressed and might give it a go this weekend.

The bottom blaster is significantly cheaper and sounds pretty cool on bass, its a light-ish overdrive but despite the name, i worry that its sucking out the lowest of the lows, unfortunately without being able to try either pedal out at volume in a full band setting, I cant really advise how they stand up.