Why become a member? ×

just curious

OliverBlackman

Professional just means you get paid for doing what you do. All the talent in the world means very little if nobody really wants to listen to you. I remember really looking forward to seeing Stevie Vai and my mind wandering after a few songs is they were not 'tunes'. Serving the song is always better than pleasing your own musical self.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1283113' date='Jun 26 2011, 04:25 PM']Yh when i mean professional musician i meant the Stuart Pearce, Phil Mulford, Laurence Cottle busy bee types. What made me think is iv seen a few great players at ACM doing master classes and when they explain what they do it seems so simple. Laurence Cottle said for him it was hours of practice and playing lots of different genres when gigging that got him to where he is now. So is it literally just having the motivation to really want to do it that separates people from going and doing it or keeping it as a hobby?

Also i do completely appreciate the not wanting to make your hobby your job thing.[/quote]

not it isn't literally just having the motivation

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1283262' date='Jun 26 2011, 07:36 PM']The term professional is used more generally to denote a person who performs commercially in a field typically reserved for hobbyists or amateurs.

Professional = does it for a living

Amateur = does it for fun[/quote]
true

[quote name='merello' post='1283267' date='Jun 26 2011, 07:44 PM']Professional just means you get paid for doing what you do. All the talent in the world means very little if nobody really wants to listen to you. I remember really looking forward to seeing Stevie Vai and my mind wandering after a few songs is they were not 'tunes'. Serving the song is always better than pleasing your own musical self.[/quote]

Very true

You can totally find non-paid musicians to match any paid musician

In my mind the only thing separating those who want to be get paid and those who do is opportunity

The two things that every musician that makes money from their playing had is opportunity and desire

it similar to what people say about luck

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

No matter of preparation without a change will get your there
equally if you can't deliver when you get that change your not gonna get anyway (now deliver can mean playing note perfect or it can mean bringing something else)

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1283027' date='Jun 26 2011, 03:12 PM']What do you guys see as being the difference in skill and knowledge between amateur musicians and professionals?

As a student of music i hope to be a professional as do all the people at my college. But sometimes you see video's of players that are just bedroom players or play in a pub at the weekend and some of them have amazing technique in slapping, tapping and so on.

So i was thinking whats stopping these guys becoming pro's?[/quote]
Assuming you mean a pro is a player who earns his living completely from playing and amateur as all other types of players...

I haven't noticed any difference in skill and knowledge between amateur musicians and professionals. There are great technicians who never leave their bedroom. There are average technicians who are innundated with work.

I worked pro for a few years and had some great time but if i am honest i didn't really enjoy it. I much prefer being semi-pro and having a "normal" life and the stuff that comes with it - but i am an old fart. The pros i know that are doing well are ones that are flexible, reliable and quite good organisers. I think i am saying that it is skills other than music that will determine being successful as a pro or not. Sure, the music is important but i don't think slapping and tapping skills are going to make too much difference :)

Good luck with your studies.