Why become a member? ×

This Weekend

nottswarwick

Stepping into the bass chair this weekend for 2 nice gigs - a party, and a Summer Ball.

For the first time I shall be using my new old styleeee set up:

Squier VM P bass, with rounds on it.
MIM P bass - with flats now on it.
Ashdown rig.

I will have PA support at both gigs, and it is a right old mix of stuff - Brown Eyed Girl to Sex On Fire to Lady Gaga (lol).

Should be fun. Looking forward to putting all this stiff through its paces. Will sure be different to SR5 into Markbass.

I shall report back.

C

Well, here is the report after gig one.

Large ish hall, wooden floor no stage but solid floor on concrete. Boomy reflective room.

I set up with Pa support just to add a little foh clarity.

Head set with pre shape filter on (kind of scooped), with slight bass cut and upper end boost on the EQ.

Valve drive on at about half. Sub harmonics off.

Single 410 8ohm.

First set used MIM with flats. Second set Squier with rounds.

The MIM obviously sounded woolier, but I was mostly fingerstyle on it so that would make a difference too. Action a bit higher, strings a bit stiffer but nice to play. Also it had bite for pull offs etc, and I did one song with a plectrum and it cut ok. The guitarist said it sounded a bit undefined, but it was probs the room.

Second set was Squier with rounds. I was mainly plectrum and I wound up the treble on the amp slightly. This absolutely rocked. Drivey and rockly. Exactly like simple minds waterfront intro tone. Songs like Mr Brightside sounded ace. Also nice to play. The Squier has a thinner neck than the MIM, FYI.

I think the head could do with a second cab. It was loud enough and with more to give on about half. But another 2 by 10 on top of the 410 would be awesome. I also noted that the head stayed cool. The air coming from the fans was basically cold, which surprised my as I was pushing it at points.

So, both basses nice. I think I need time to get used to the MIM with flats. The MIM is very well built and solid sounding. Overall it is the better bass, but the Squier is no slouch, and is amazing for what I paid.

Tonight is a big marquee. With a stage, so we will see how that sounds.

Chris

Chris... super!

Why not try swapping the strings as an experiment.

I reckon a second cab for the Ashdown is a good idea (MAG300?) I have one and have been toying with this. It's broken down again though.
I'm borrowing an Ampeg combo, although nice, doesn't have the warm bottom end and the volume.

I absolutely love my MiM Precision although it doesn't get much air time as I usually gig my fretless Jazz. Rounds of course.

I thought I might swap the strings actually if I get time today. Takes a bit longer though as truss and intonation tweaks required as the strings are that different. I had to tighten the truss on the MIM quite a lot to compensate for the extra tension of the flats.

Might try the flats on the rockier set too.

Hi Chris... yes, I use rounds on the fretless, always have (30 odd years).

Never had to adjust any trussrods on any of my basses... I don't like to go there!

I'd be interested in the string swap, I reckon the MiM will come alive with rounds on.

Break a leg.

Playing out at a festival tonight, top of the bill... excited.

Bob.

Chris,

I use rounds on my Fretless as well. Flats make a fretted sound woolly, so added to the already natural muted tone on a fretless i personally think it lacks too much definition. Beauty of using rounds on a fretless as well is that with a few EQ tweaks you can get an almost fretted tone from it!

I can't hear the benefit of flats on a fretless at all... Unless you own one with a bad choice of fretboard wood, like something softer than Ebony, Diamondwood etc in which case flats are a good choice for protecting the board.