Why become a member? ×

How to tell difference between Fender Japan "62JB" and "62JB-US?"

bass-a-licious

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1281096' date='Jun 24 2011, 03:07 PM']To be honest, if you were the kind of person that told me to "do one" because I didn't want to dismantle the bass for someone else's curiosity on the chance they might buy it, I'd be quite happy not to do business anyway. :)

As I said, if someone handed me the cash and then took it apart themselves, taking on the responsibility of not damaging it and doing the actual work, I'd happily let them do it. I'm not going to dismantle an instrument for someone that "might" buy it. If it turned out that I'd mis-advertised it, of course I would accept full responsibility.

The join between the neck and the body is probably the most important piece of assembly on a bass. It's also not always the easiest to tell if it's been done badly, so yes, I'd consider it a fairly major job to take the neck off, especially by someone without experience.[/quote]
I tend to agree. I have also seen lacquer cracked or removed during this process occasionally.

No idea why BigJohn thinks it's a pointless thread either, it seems to me to be a quite important one.

After checking my bass against this one [url="http://kenji-cij.blogspot.com/2008/11/jb62-us-3ts.html"]http://kenji-cij.blogspot.com/2008/11/jb62-us-3ts.html[/url] it confirms I have the 62JB-US version. I hate to tell you all but I checked the neck and the only thing on it was the figures 16-0. Means nothing to me. So my conclusion is checking the neck won't tell you anything. Best to check if there's a nice woodgrain (if it's sunburst) to confirm it's alder as basswood doesn't have much of a grain , spiral saddles, size of machineheads and strap button on the back of the headstock.

this is my bass [attachment=83430:62_cropped.jpg]

Which happens to be for sale soon. I have it on hold until the 9th July for a fellow basschatter but after that offers gladly received looking for £450.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1280778' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:49 AM']That's deal over for me, the body/neck could be anything[/quote]

[quote name='silddx' post='1280826' date='Jun 24 2011, 12:18 PM']Really? It's a secondhand bass. Would you know everything about a car you were selling? It's a cheapish, recent, Japanese Fender bass for heaven's sake (nice drink that BTW), it's not worthy of your CSI investigation. Just look at those links I posted and compare the bass, check the serial number online, make sure the neck aand tronics are in good nick, you're done.

Hosestly, all this pissing about over a £500 Jap Fender :)[/quote]

To clarify, I posted in the context of a seller unable to reliably identify the model (and therefore by implication the wood or even the authenticity). In this case, yes, I'd want the neck off or it's no deal, £500 is £500. If the model has been reliably identified, then no problem, but in this case apparently it wasn't (or wasn't at the time of my post). And Nige, sorry to piss on your barbecue mate, but there are, strangely enough, a lot of guys on ebay who sell ringers, even MIJ ringers. I bought an MIJ '62 RI Precision in 2007 with authentic serial number etc. Got the bass, it felt odd, and it turned out the body was ply. The seller had sold the original body, on ebay, a few months earlier, which was kinda his downfall! I got my money back, but only I think because the seller was an amateur, had tried it on, been caught out and didn't have the stomach for a fight, but plenty of dubious sellers are pros.