Why become a member? ×

New addition to the family

Dodge

89 PRS Curly Bass 4 in whale blue, birds and the premium 10-top. Purchased more for the investment than a player, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

[url="http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/paul.stansfield/PRSCurlyBass"]http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/paul.stansfield/PRSCurlyBass[/url]

[quote name='ped' post='147229' date='Feb 26 2008, 01:12 PM']Cor, what a looker. Is it just me or does the front pickup look a bit slanted (higher on the treble side)

Are all three pickups functional or is one a dummy coil? Are they PRS designed/made? I would be interested to hear it..[/quote]

The front pickup is a bit slanted actually - it only flew into Heathrow yesterday morning, so I've not had the chance to strip it down yet. Still, it's from the 'handmade' PRS era so it might not be fixable. All three pickups are functional, and there's also a dummy coil on under the bridge on the rear of the guitar for hum canceling.

They're PRS made and they sound.. well.. different! Very hi-fi sounding, not really toppy but there's a subtle scoop out of the midrange and a thunderous low end. These guitars weren't universally loved because of the sound, it's VERY smooth but I kinda like it. But it was purchased more as an investment than anything else really so I don't mind it sounding a bit unusual.

There's no pan control (boo!), the active preamp has treble and bass and the 5 selections are below:

1: Middle pickup
2: Bass pickup
3: Treble and middle pickups
4: Treble and bass pickups
5: Treble pickup

If you've got a headphone amp of some description, you're more than welcome to pop up to the airport and give it a whirl some time.

[quote name='E_MaN' post='147239' date='Feb 26 2008, 01:31 PM']I don't think it looks very pretty, But I bet you could get some lovely tones out of it! Whats it made from?[/quote]

I know what you mean - it's not the most attractive guitar I've seen, but the figuring is stunning. It's mahogany body and neck, with a flame maple top.