Why become a member? ×

What Capacitor do I need?

garymilitia

[quote name='garymilitia' post='1275878' date='Jun 20 2011, 01:46 PM']I'm just putting together the electrics for my PJ bass, what capacitor do I need? 0.022, 0.033 or 0.047? Im looking at the kits here [url="http://www.axesrus.com/axeWiringBass.htm"]Axesus[/url][/quote]

The choice of capacitor dictates the amount of high frequency signal that is removed from the signal path.
The degree to which the signal path is affected by the capacitor is dictated by the capacitor - the higher the value the more high frequencies are removed.

As you have no reference point to start experimenting from, the best bet would be to order a kit with 'x value' capacitor and then order the other two capacitors as seperate items on [url="http://www.axesrus.com/axeElectronicsCaps.htm"]this[/url] page and try swapping the caps about until you get teh sort of sound you are looking for.

HTH

47nF is a usual value for bass guitar. The others are generally more for guitar, but the larger cap you put in the more you can roll off the tone control. I've a 100nF in mine (also common for bass guitar) and thus can get everything from really bright to really, really mellow.

of the three in the kit, I would go for the 47nF (0.047) as that will give you the greatest range. it won't have much effect when the tone control is set all the way up, so you'll get roughly the same bright tones regardless of what you go for.

edit: I wasn't completely accurate due to writing too quickly. SD's post below is correct.

Edited by escholl

[quote name='neepheid' post='1275974' date='Jun 20 2011, 03:19 PM']Why, you need a flux capacitor, of course :)

Sorry, couldn't resist it.[/quote]

Just need to find 1.21 gigawatts of power now...

thanks guys that's what I was after, Ill order the 0.047 with 250k pots