Why become a member? ×

iPad Vs Android Tablet for music / teaching / media ?

Dood

Hey everyone!

Well, since it's absolutely chucking it down outside, I decided to sit and ponder over a purchase I have been GASsing over for a while.

I'll cut straight to the chase, else I might waffle on for hours about what kit I've messed around with over the years! I can see massive potential for the iPad and Android Tablets (kinda disregarded Windows 7 for now) but my questions are:

At the moment I can only see that the iPad has 3rd party recording interfaces being made for them (such as iRig etc). There's nothing on the market for Android tablets right?? I've not seen anything anyway! What interface are you using with yours / recommend?

Is anyone using Android as a music related OS? For example using Guitar Pro style notation software and for recording / media? What Apps are you using and have you been able to use any 3rd party hardware?

Ultimately I think I'll end up with an iPad - The idea that I can use it as a teaching tool as well as using it for leisure and business is a cool one - especially with an 'on demand' power up instead of waiting for 'old faithful' to boot in to windows everytime!

Would love to hear your thoughts, ye collective brain of BassChat!

Dooooooooooooooooooooooood

Waiting for delivery of an iPad in two weeks time - tbh I ordered it on pretty shallow market research wrt recording so here's to hoping the wiser folks of Basschat give a collective thumbs up to that option. :)

Edited by BB3000S

Well my research thus far has basically told me the only thing I can really use for music is the iPad! Connecting anything other than a digital camera to an Android tablet seems a bit alien! I need to go find all the different audio interfaces now and find out which are best and which are rubbish. I seem to recall iRig being at the top of the pile.

I'm astonished that, well over 5 hours into the thread, nobody has posted to totally rubbish the iPad.

It's what normally seems to happen whenever an Apple product is mentioned!! :)

I have no experience of either the android or iPad, so I'll be interested to see what the opinions of our brethren might be. :)

[quote name='dood' post='1273812' date='Jun 18 2011, 03:08 PM']Hey everyone!

Well, since it's absolutely chucking it down outside, I decided to sit and ponder over a purchase I have been GASsing over for a while.

I'll cut straight to the chase, else I might waffle on for hours about what kit I've messed around with over the years! I can see massive potential for the iPad and Android Tablets (kinda disregarded Windows 7 for now) but my questions are:

At the moment I can only see that the iPad has 3rd party recording interfaces being made for them (such as iRig etc). There's nothing on the market for Android tablets right?? I've not seen anything anyway! What interface are you using with yours / recommend?

Is anyone using Android as a music related OS? For example using Guitar Pro style notation software and for recording / media? What Apps are you using and have you been able to use any 3rd party hardware?

Ultimately I think I'll end up with an iPad - The idea that I can use it as a teaching tool as well as using it for leisure and business is a cool one - especially with an 'on demand' power up instead of waiting for 'old faithful' to boot in to windows everytime!

Would love to hear your thoughts, ye collective brain of BassChat!

Dooooooooooooooooooooooood[/quote]

Hi.

I am a new bass player and as such use the internet alot as a learning tool. Tabs, You tube etc. For me, the ipad is fantastic as I use it and plug it into my little micro cube bass and also plug in my headphones. That way, I have a decent size screen to watch and everything is routed through the amp to my headphones. I can then concentrate fully on what I am trying to do and also don't get the rest of the household moaning at me!

I also purchased Garage Band on a whim and must admit have found that great fun to create music (possibly for future backing).

Of course, there's so much more you can do on the ipad.

It comes highly recommended from me.

Cheers

Gary

I've never really used either but I'm not sure what you'd even use to record on an Android/Win7 tablet. Obviously there's a garage band built specifically for the iPad but AFAIK there's no alternatives for other tablet OSs and I expect the full versions would be too slow.

A friend of mine uses his iPad for live sound, it lets him move around the venue and adjust the desk (obviously all digital) on the fly without being stuck in one place. Pretty neat function IMO.

Unless you really need a detailed analysis (it's one in the morning and I can't be bothered right now) I'll only say that I have an iPad, and iPad 2 and a Motorola Xoom... And the iPad is what I use for everything music. (Not fully migrated to the 2 yet, but it is noticeably nicer and faster).

Thanks for the input guys! Yes, it seems there's literally nothing in the way of interfaces for Android OS ran hardware (The Motorola Xoom looks pretty awesome though!!) - Windows 7 tablets are too slow and laggy, because they aren't optimised for touch screen use (from what I understand anyway) and iPad 2 offers Garageband and a few notation programs along with a veritable supply of hardware interfaces. I think, as much as I am new to and love Android, it just ain't ready for what I need. I think the iPad 2 wins hands down and will now be added to my shopping list.

Should I need any Windows functionality then I will 'remote' / thinclient to my PC on the same network and stream data back and forth. Now it's a case of finding the best and cheapest place for said beast.

Do I really need a 64Gb version or will 32Gb suffice? I don't think I need the 3G option, but having said that, it could be something to think about for the future and thus wouldn't hurt to have it even if I don't use it right away.

Your further input is most welcome!

Doooooooooooooooooooooood

Well I have had an Ipad / Xoom / Galaxy Tab / and now have an Ipad 2, for me the Ipad wins in the music stakes, it has zero latency which Android fails on so far, so recording as in Garage Band / Sonoma / Amplitube / Multitrack Daw is a breeze as a sketch pad with your bass. I have purchased most of the synth apps which can emulate and even better the Korg old Electribes and other famous synths from the 80s, it is so versatile for music that it still amazes me, as you can tell I am a fan but compared to the Android units they just sat about never being used. Any info just shout.

there's a new audio interface coming out for the ipad - [url="http://www.alesis.com/iodock"]link here[/url] - I haven't seen it yet, but it seems to be a huge advance over the iRig, which I have, and is OK for practicing IMHO

Thanks guys, that's actually really what I wanted to hear! - Ash, I hadn't thought about latency and am pleased to hear the iPad 2 is able to perform in that respect. The Xoom looks like a great spec and would be brilliant for 'other' stuff and messing around with. I really like how my Google accounts / Gmail integrate with the OS on my 'phone and it's that which naturally draws me to the Xoom. If I were using the tablet just for surfing, games and documents, then it'd be brilliant. However, even where the iPad falls short in comparison to the Xoom, I think it still well out weighs in terms of it's advantages. I think I'm going to go the iPad route!

Steve, Case in point there! - No one is manufacturing hardware like that for any other Tablets. I even thought briefly about using Windows 7 on a tablet so that I could use my current USB hardware - but reading reviews, the W7 tablets are laggy at best and thus I'd be better off sticking to my laptop for the 'bigger stuff'.

Anyone know the cheapest place to pick up an iPad 2? AND - is 32Gb enough?

[quote name='dood' post='1276742' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:09 AM']Thanks guys, that's actually really what I wanted to hear! - Ash, I hadn't thought about latency and am pleased to hear the iPad 2 is able to perform in that respect. The Xoom looks like a great spec and would be brilliant for 'other' stuff and messing around with. I really like how my Google accounts / Gmail integrate with the OS on my 'phone and it's that which naturally draws me to the Xoom. If I were using the tablet just for surfing, games and documents, then it'd be brilliant. However, even where the iPad falls short in comparison to the Xoom, I think it still well out weighs in terms of it's advantages. I think I'm going to go the iPad route!

Steve, Case in point there! - No one is manufacturing hardware like that for any other Tablets. I even thought briefly about using Windows 7 on a tablet so that I could use my current USB hardware - but reading reviews, the W7 tablets are laggy at best and thus I'd be better off sticking to my laptop for the 'bigger stuff'.

Anyone know the cheapest place to pick up an iPad 2? AND - is 32Gb enough?[/quote]

I bought the Xoom to enable flash and have a better experience with the internet, sadly the ipad's smooth scrolling and fast zooming still made me want to use the ipad. The only thing I dislike about ipad is mail, very basic and needs a major upgrade.

The new Apogee Jam looks great, they make awesome products, I use one with my Mac and it has no issues, the Irig is ok but the sound quality is poor (due to using the headphone/mic socket) it's ok for rough mixes.

Buy whatever you can afford, I have the 64gb and have 46gb of data on the unit, but if you are not putting your itunes songs on then 32gb would be fine.

[quote name='Smash' post='1276785' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:42 AM']I bought the Xoom to enable flash and have a better experience with the internet, sadly the ipad's smooth scrolling and fast zooming still made me want to use the ipad. The only thing I dislike about ipad is mail, very basic and needs a major upgrade.

The new Apogee Jam looks great, they make awesome products, I use one with my Mac and it has no issues, the Irig is ok but the sound quality is poor (due to using the headphone/mic socket) it's ok for rough mixes.

Buy whatever you can afford, I have the 64gb and have 46gb of data on the unit, but if you are not putting your itunes songs on then 32gb would be fine.[/quote]

Ash, can you hang an external USB hard drive off the iPad?

The Apogee Jam looks like a nice piece of kit - compact will be helpful! - I think I might get some sort of charging dock as well so that I can have the iPad to hand so that I can grab it whilst I am downstairs / teaching / watching TV etc instead of having to go through to my desk.. boot up laptop.. wait for it to log in.... do updates... snoooooore!!!!

Do you think it's worth getting a 3G version now? Maybe a bit of future proofing, should 3G networks get better in the future?

[quote name='dood' post='1276791' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:46 AM']Ash, can you hang an external USB hard drive off the iPad?[/quote]
To be honest I think you would have to hack it, as you would need to see the file management which ipad does not let you see, it can be done but I do not believe an app has been created for this or Apple would allow you for such a thing. To let you know the Camera adaptor kit needs a USB powered hub as I think it is only 10 watts power I could be wrong but Apple reduced this to stop people adding non Apple products.

Edited by Smash

[quote name='Smash' post='1276836' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:25 AM']To be honest I think you would have to hack it, as you would need to see the file management which ipad does not let you see, it can be done but I do not believe an app has been created for this or Apple would allow you for such a thing. To let you know the Camera adaptor kit needs a USB powered hub as I think it is only 10 watts power I could be wrong but Apple reduced this to stop people adding non Apple products.[/quote]

Hmmmm!! That's interesting and just a little bit annoying!! So I'm back to using my laptop for viewing pictures etc. Kinda put a bit of a spoiler on things as I'd hoped to be able to use the iPad for media, like taking videos and transfering them on to iPad whilst I am away from home. Will have to check that out further, but my finger is hovering over the 'buy' button grrr!!

[quote name='dood' post='1277032' date='Jun 21 2011, 01:35 PM']Ahhh quick update - looks like if USB isn't an option there's an SD card reader instead, so that'll do me fine![/quote]
Yes Full media is supported but not at root if you get me, SD card works fine with the camera kit. You will love it trust me.

[quote name='Stag' post='1277094' date='Jun 21 2011, 02:31 PM']Dan - I just ordered one thru work :)

Arrives in a few weeks! I did put a thread on here about GarageBand...[/quote]

Ordered one thru work? For work use or for home? - I spent most of the afternoon talking to alovely young lady in the Apple store and tinkering on the iPad - yeah, think I need look no further. Sorry to say that Android as an OS just hasn't caught up yet. iPad it is!

[quote name='dood' post='1277776' date='Jun 21 2011, 09:21 PM']Ordered one thru work? For work use or for home? - I spent most of the afternoon talking to alovely young lady in the Apple store and tinkering on the iPad - yeah, think I need look no further. Sorry to say that Android as an OS just hasn't caught up yet. iPad it is![/quote]

For home use and abuse mate - some kind of highly favourable finance deal they are offering through a third party straight out of your wages before tax, saaaaweeet!

[quote name='Stag' post='1277852' date='Jun 21 2011, 10:31 PM']For home use and abuse mate - some kind of highly favourable finance deal they are offering through a third party straight out of your wages before tax, saaaaweeet![/quote]

No way!! That's pretty cool - You don't need a 'second one' then? ;o) ha ha!! - Sounds great, I'm definitely gonna have one soon, just a case of where from and how much!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I did it!! I am the happy owner of an iPad. I have to say that so far I am very impressed. It's a great business tool already, even before I start playing with music tools!