Why become a member? ×

Testing/comparing some amps

BasH

Yesterday I (finally) had some time for testing some amps.

In two different stores I could test some amps, with a variety of cabs (where applicable).
All of them played with my main bass. A Maruszczyk Elwood 4 string, with TI flatwounds and a Noll preamp

[b]The amps I tested were:[/b]
[i]Store 1[/i]
-AER amp three
-AER amp two
-TecAmp Puma 700
-TecAmp Tiger 400
-EBS Fafner
-Aguilar Tone Hammer 500
[i]Store 2[/i]
-TC Electronic RH450
-Ampeg PF350
-Ampeg PF500
-Eden Nemesis (forgot the type)

In the first store they had a switching system for easy switching between amps and cabs, while you where playing (very useful).
Cabs available from TecAmp, Aguilar and EBS (but I just switched to the one that sounded best to my ears with the first amp, which was an Aguilar 112).
Of course I couldn't do that with the AER's (since they are combos).

In the second store (since I am looking for a small rig) I tested them only with a TC Electronic RS112 and an Orange Isobaric 212.

My quick findings for that day:

[b]AER amp three[/b]
[i]Pros[/i]
A really nice sounding amp. Nice, warm sound, but with a very good definition of the notes (not very forgiving for my sloppiness).
Nice projection, and really small and light.
It got a nice grit (almost tube-like) when turning up the gain.
[i]Cons[/i]
Expensive
The compressor didn't do it for me
Something inside of the amp rattled at certain frequencies (which for is an immediate turn-off). And I wasn't even playing that loud (I like the have my hearing when I'm 50)

[b]AER amp two[/b]
As the amp three, but not as nice sounding (luckily no rattling with this one).

[b]TecAmp Puma 700[/b]
Good, clear sound, but no real character. A bit boring.
No headphone

[b]TecAmp Tiger 400[/b]
Good, clear sound, but no real character. A bit boring.
No headphone

[b]EBS Fafner[/b]
[i]Pro[/i]
A really nice sound. Warm and organic.
[i]Cons[/i]
Too big and expensive for my taste. I only tested it because it was present in the switching rig.

[b]Aguilar Tone Hammer 500[/b]
[i]Pros[/i]
Nice basic sound. Overdrive is not bad.
[i]Cons[/i]
No headphone connection possible.
Expensive
The sweepable mids really did not work for me. It just seemed to kick the whole soundspectrum out of balance (my gues is that it just is too much and too narrow). It really screwed up the definition (it went from boomy to nasal and annoying).

The following three sounded best with the TC Electronic 112. Simply more definition, bass and volume than the Orange 212 (even with the tweeter completely turned off).

[b]TC Electronic RH450[/b]
[i]Pros[/i]
Really flexible
Good definition
Best overdrive sound.
[i]Cons[/i]
The sound felt artificial to me. It seemed a bit detached from my fingers.
No real warmth (think oven vs microwave)
Too many knobs/hidden knobs (with the shift option) for me.
The compressor was too squishy for me (maybe I just do not like compressors???)

[b]Ampeg PF350[/b]
[i]Pros[/i]
Really nice sound (once you figure out that you have to turn up the gain).
Nice and warm.
[i]Cons[/i]
Fixed mid control
Note definition is less than with the AER.
No compressor

[b]Ampeg PF500[/b]
[i]Pros[/i]
As the PF350 but nicer.
Better definition, good warmth
Nice mid control
The only compressor that I liked. Even fully cranked it stayed very musical, without pumping.
[i]Cons[/i]
Not as small as the PF350

[b]Eden Nemesis[/b]
Only tried it for a minute, because it was too woolly for me.

Only goes to show that yuo shoudl try amps before you buy them. I really had expected to like the RH450 more than the PF500 (and expected the PF350 and PF500 to be more alike).
I really expected the AER to be a wonderful sounding amp (which it is), but did not think it would rattle that much (certainly for that price). But that might be a on off goof.

I still did not make the final decision, because I still want to try:
-AER amp one (without rattling)
-Ibanez Promethean

Is there any other amp/cab/combothat I really should try?

Thanks guys...

Unfortunately GenzBenz is a bit hard to find in the Netherlands.

The Orange Terror could be an option, but it doesn't have a headphone out (which is a must when you have three small kids), and I think it is plain ugly.

As for preamp tubes.... In my experience (mostly with guitar amps) 12AX7's don't add a nice overdriven sound (For that you need power tubes), nor do they add warmth to clean tones.
And since I'm going mostly for clean anyway I don't really need having a preamp tube somewhere in the amp.

[quote name='BasH' post='1272381' date='Jun 17 2011, 08:37 AM']Thanks guys...

Unfortunately GenzBenz is a bit hard to find in the Netherlands.

The Orange Terror could be an option, but it doesn't have a headphone out (which is a must when you have three small kids), and I think it is plain ugly.

As for preamp tubes.... In my experience (mostly with guitar amps) 12AX7's don't add a nice overdriven sound (For that you need power tubes), nor do they add warmth to clean tones.
And since I'm going mostly for clean anyway I don't really need having a preamp tube somewhere in the amp.[/quote]

Try a Markbass then. I personally like a little tube in the pre amp stage to stop the sound getting sterile when you turn it up.
On that basis, I would add an SWR Headlite..but if you don't want a valve, then don't.

Mids are very tricky..everyone thinks they want them and then can't get a playable sound as they can be harsh and un-flattering when a tad off...
In this sense, Ampeg's typical pre amp stage with the graphic and the switch is hideous and also so bland..altho if it is to your taste, then the switch makes things pretty simple..which is not to be sneezed at.

My personal way of dealing with this is to have a good nice bass signal into the amp ( read one that you are happy with ) ..and the the amp becomes less critical. People seem to want/need a lot of EQ to get a sound..when the sound is pretty much already determined by the input signal.
Plug'n'play..... saves so much hassle. You just then need an amp with core sounds.

I use to have a MarkBass. Great, versatile amp, but it's "warm" was not really my "warm" (felt more like muffled than warm to me). So I did not try any one of their new ones...

BY the way, I'm not against preamp tubes. I just think that, without power tubes, they will not give you that warm tube sound (hmmmmm, maybe I should try my Matamp 1224 on bass, with a bass cabinet).