Why become a member? ×

Hello all!

STAB91

Hello all!
Signed up yesterday and just wanted to do a small introduction

My name is Sam about to turn 20 and have been playing bass since i was about 13/14
Picked it up as my brother was a guitarist and used to play in bands back in school, just watching a rehearsal one day and thought his bassist looked awesome and from then on knew i wanted to play =)
1st bass was a p special cheapy copy by shine that holds quite a bit of sentiment for me and it does sound quite nice just on its last legs really. Bought it primarily because i was into classic rock big time and thought it looked liked the late phil lynott's bass (bar the mirrored scratch plate)
Here i am 6/7 years later and I currently study music down at The Brighton Institute of Modern Music where Im on the second year of my BA Hons my instrument of course being bass! =P
Since being in the institute iv been in much more serious bands and im gigging quite regularly which I love as Im a performer at heart and its always great to meet and chat to other musicians hence why the institute is a great place to be

I do some writing, arranging and lyric writing as well as lead and backup vocals in various bits and pieces

The two acts im involved in heavily are a Alt Rock/Grunge outfit named Stone Sun (www.myspace.com/stonesunmusic)
and a Pop/Punk Rock outfit named Lights, Camera, Attraction! (www.myspace.com/lightscameraattractionuk)
And at the moment Im working on some Singer/Songwriter/Solo Bass player stuff which il post on here when iv finished some tunes for anyone who's interested

My influences are wide and many, im always worried about listing this kind of thing in case i forget an act that really influences me but here it goes.
Im into a lot of different styles of music but i guess Rock, Funk, Blues, Acoustic stuff has always been my favourite as Iv always loved the song first and formost and if has killer bass then it makes my day!
Favourite Bassists: Phil Lynott, John McVie, Steve Harris, John Deacon, Mike Inez, Seth Horan, John Paul Jones, Tommy Shannon, Tom Hammilton, Stuart Zender, Nick Fyffe, Paul Turner, Mark King, Nate Mendal, Mike Rutherford, Dirk Lance, Carol Kaye, James Jamerson, Ben Kenny, Paul McCartney, Sting, Jack Bruce, Timmy C, Brian Marshall, Rex Horan and loads more who i forget to mention

Gear: Spector Legend 4 Classic, 1989 Japanese Fender Precision, Squire 5 String Precision Bass (with jazz pickups?!), Amp: EBS 350ET 210 Gorm, Pedals: Boss TU3 Tuner, Boss ODB3 (Overdrive), Boss Bass Equalizer, Behringer Flanger, Electro Harmonix Worm.

Its great to be on here and i look forward to the hours of bass and gear chat =)

thanx for reading

Sam