Why become a member? ×

replacing the jack socket on my P deluxe

nipplebass

i've had my P for a few years now but recently its become unplayable due to the jack socket cracking like hell when touched. I took it to a local guitar shop to get repaired and its come back with a different problem!

When the volume pot is turned its making a very "rough" turning sound and the little signal that comes throught in certain positions is very weak and distorted.

thought it was possibly the battery so I gave it the lick test and its still very strong!

could the new jack be the problem? or have I just been unluky and got a new problem?

the socket looks pretty much the same as the old one.

just after some advice before I take it back to the shop!

cheers

Lee

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1269116' date='Jun 14 2011, 07:55 PM']It sounds like the shop let a numpty loose on your bass. Get them to do the job properly or take it to someone who knows what they're doing.[/quote]
+1, sounds like they used a standard jack. Refund & take it elsewhere.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1269121' date='Jun 14 2011, 08:02 PM']+1, sounds like they used a standard jack. Refund & take it elsewhere.[/quote]

Or fitted the correct (stereo) socket, but wired it up wrongly. Easy to fix, but you really ought to go back and complain at least, so that they know that you know that they've screwed up.

Edited by mart

I wouldn't worry too much about what they might or might not have done (though I agree with the above possibilities).

You took the bass in for repair and they sent it back still not working correctly. Just take it back to them, demonstrate the problem and politely ask that they actually repair it properly this time.

I'd be a bit surprised if incorrect wiring was the cause. I'd be less surprised if some ham-fisted soldering resulted in the pot track being damaged and thus noisy.

But who really knows and is such speculation particularly helpful? They were paid to fix it but it doesn't work correctly, so give them another chance or request a refund and go elsewhere.

Hard to say what the problem is without seeing the wiring they have done for you.

Either way, the number one rule after 'repairing' anything should always be to test what you've just done to ensure you've rectified the fault and not generated a new one in the process.

This would appear not to have happened in your case.

Give them the opportunity of putting the defect right to your satisfaction and test it out thoroughly before leaving the premises this time.
If they fail to repair the fault then you should demand your money back and go elsewhere.

[quote name='nipplebass' post='1269406' date='Jun 14 2011, 11:10 PM']so if the socket is wired up incorrectly, could this cause the problem described. sounds similar to a dirty pot, but i've never heard a dirty pot sound this extreme![/quote]

Yes.

If someone has connected the socket incorrectly so that the +ve side of the battery is being switched instead of the -ve side then you can feed 9V straight into the pot.

That's a sure fire way of burning the track of the pot out as the wiper moves over it and the 'pitting' will give a dirty pot sort of noise you describe.

You need to be a bit careful with this information though - it's a possibility, not a diagnosis. :)