Why become a member? ×

GarageBand on iPad

Stag

Hi Guys

Has anyone out there got experience of GarageBand on the iPad? I am really considering buying one for ease of use - im not after something top end, something portable and easy to use and this looks like the perfect solution - 8 tracks is well enough for me. Can I plug a bass / g*itar directly into the headphone port and record? Im looking for something quick and easy to use and after tinkering with a pal's iPad it looks perfect...

I have experience in Cubase etc from college but im rather after something simple and effective for me to quickly record riff ideas down on and then add a drum pattern (you know what its like, you get a great idea on the train or wherever and then *BAM* its gone and left your head forever!)

Any info would be gratefully recieved!

Cheers

Stag

It's not great; but it is good. And apparently they've just added support to import loops and sound files - Though I haven't tried this feature yet.

Playing in your own drums is easy enough; and the keyboard instruments (little limited maybe) are also good.

For guitar input - you'll want to google for something like the iRig adapter - you can't just plug a 2.5mm adapter in there. But it's not fully loaded for guitar and bass amp modelling blah blah as something like the iOS version of Amplitube or the Galien Kruger app.

[quote name='Eight' post='1267766' date='Jun 13 2011, 07:24 PM']you can't just plug a 2.5mm adapter in there[/quote]

Oh dear. I sense some form of proprietary Apple lead that costs a million pounds and is made like crap.

Guitarist Magazine raved about it and it is only £3. I've had a play and for what it's aimed at I reckon it's pretty sound. The microphone recording is not bad at all, although the touch sensitive drum pads take a good load of getting used to (snare best done with the thumb). Love the DB sound. Apogee do a USB that was mentioned in Bass Guitar Mag, £75 I think.

[quote name='Stag' post='1268079' date='Jun 13 2011, 11:29 PM']Oh dear. I sense some form of proprietary Apple lead that costs a million pounds and is made like crap.[/quote]
Hahahah. £23 will get you an adapter (and in some cases, an extra app)

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ik-multimedia-amplitube-irig-guitar-interface-for-iphone-ipod-touch-and-ipad--74305"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ik-multimedia...and-ipad--74305[/url]

It's just because the "headphone" socket on the iOS devices has three segments. One of those is the mic... Meaning if you found a plug which happened to connect to the right segment in the jack, you then wouldn't be able to hear anything from the device (since it would think headphones are plugged in).

Edited by Eight

Also, Peavey do one,

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/peavey-ampkit-link-iphone-guitar-interface--76618"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/peavey-ampkit...nterface--76618[/url]

And there was something else at a similar price point wot I saw in Guitar Guitar last time I was in there.

Sounds a bit more promising chaps, thanks for the info.

Found that Apogee Jam thing and didnt really want to pay another eighty quid to plug a guitar in to it, thats ridiculous (particularly when its had some terrible reviews re: reliability & build quality)

I find the most limiting factor is not being able to edit after you have recorded via the soft instruments- you need to be accurate at the point of recording which is quite difficult given the size of the keyboards etc. Not a problem if you can get by using the loops tho.
I fooled myself that I would buy one to use as a worktool- Garageband, PDF readers for dots etc.
Bottom line is, I spend more time on it browsing and playing games (I am not a game console user BTW)- it's a great piece of kit.