Why become a member? ×

Behringer ble 100 limiter/enhancer

craigjf1969

Hi folks,just got one of these of the bay,cheap enough at 12quid,anyway popped a battery in and can only hear a difference in sound when using the enhance dial...when dialing in ratio or threshold,there is no difference whatsoever,no matter how hard i attack the strings.......do you think this is knackered or possibly cos my battery was not a new one,it is failing to operate correctly??????

Edited by craigjf1969

Are you familiar with the controls on a compressor? Have you tried it with some sort of level meter? Maybe it's just so transparent you can't tell that it's compressing your bass!

Maybe it's just behringer being crap. I've tried that pedal though in the shop. I wasn't sure if it was compressing my bass enough, so I hooked it up to a keyboard in the shop, set it as a "brick wall" limiter at the lowest threshold, and turned the keyboard volume up and down while I played it. The volume of the keyboard didn't change with the control, so the limiter must have been working. It didn't sound much different though.

If its being used as a [i][b]limiter[/i][/b] then it shouldn't actually change the sound - it should only stop the volume from going beyond a certain level. Depending on where the threshold is set and how strong your signal is them you might not actually be triggering the limiter, in which case it will be doing nothing at all.

Limiters can be quite disappointing at first until you work out what exactly they do and if they can enhance your sound at all. You may even find that you don't need one.

The enhancer part will change the sound like a fancy tone control (it's usually there to put back any tone that the limiting effect removes from the sound)

There's a sticky about compressors/limters [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=337"]here[/url]. Have a look through this and see if it helps any.

[quote name='BOD2' post='146395' date='Feb 25 2008, 10:24 AM']If its being used as a [i][b]limiter[/i][/b] then it shouldn't actually change the sound - it should only stop the volume from going beyond a certain level. Depending on where the threshold is set and how strong your signal is them you might not actually be triggering the limiter, in which case it will be doing nothing at all.

Limiters can be quite disappointing at first until you work out what exactly they do and if they can enhance your sound at all. You may even find that you don't need one.

The enhancer part will change the sound like a fancy tone control (it's usually there to put back any tone that the limiting effect removes from the sound)

There's a sticky about compressors/limters [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=337"]here[/url]. Have a look through this and see if it helps any.[/quote]

Have to say that I have read around 20 articles about compression and all of them always have left me with more confusion but for the first time in I don't know how many years someone writes an article about the subject that :

1) It is written for the average Joe, plain and simple

2) Straight to the point and again written in a language that anyone will understand.

Thanks BOD2 for this piece of good article I'm eternally grateful.

• 8 months later...

what are you tryin to do with it?? do you know how to use a limiter?? i have also just bought one, n it works perfect as a very transparant limiter.

i like the enhancer around 9 o clock for a tiny bit extra bite, any further and yeah you get hiss, but unless you have got a high treble amp (your a bassist, why would you) theres practically no hiss at lower settings.

if you have played around with the knobs and have no effect, then theres something up with it. the enhancer is pretty extreme at max settings, not in a good way either, but used sparingly its great. i use the limiter to tame the volume boost i get from runnin a fuzz into my filter, works great.

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='323041' date='Nov 5 2008, 10:19 PM']what are you tryin to do with it?? do you know how to use a limiter?? i have also just bought one, n it works perfect as a very transparant limiter.

i like the enhancer around 9 o clock for a tiny bit extra bite, any further and yeah you get hiss, but unless you have got a high treble amp (your a bassist, why would you) theres practically no hiss at lower settings.

if you have played around with the knobs and have no effect, then theres something up with it. the enhancer is pretty extreme at max settings, not in a good way either, but used sparingly its great. i use the limiter to tame the volume boost i get from runnin a fuzz into my filter, works great.[/quote]

Thanks for this.

I'd tried it on my small practice amp at first where I got a lot of hiss. Since then I've tried it on my larger and better quality amp and it does seem to make a difference with no hiss although I'm still experimenting with settings.

I think I was worried that i might have bought a dud.