Why become a member? ×

Routing for a jazz pickup

garymilitia

Hello,

I'm just in the middle of converting an old p bass into a PJ bass. Has anyone ever route out the hole for the pickup before. My dad is the one with the tool and know how for using the router but is a bit worried that the hole isnt going to look tidy.

Has anyone got any tips for doing this?

Thanks
Gary

Well, ive routed a few holes with a router, but because on my inexperience, the first was rubbish, second, only slightly better, third, bit more better.

Id go for the chisel route if you have time, and can be patient, otherwise, have an immovable template for the jazz hole, and stick to it.

I tried a chisel the first time I had a go at this.. it's way easier to make a good job with a router, but it's also way easier to make a complete f''kup as well. I'd go for the router, but practice a few times on spare wood first!

Use both. :)
Rout out a rough hole then tidy it up with a chisel. IMHO you can't better the accuracy and crispness of a chiselled piece with standard power tools.
Up to now I've done purely chisel work but to keep my rates down (router is way faster) I'm now implementing my new toy....

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1264150' date='Jun 10 2011, 05:09 PM']the easiest way is to get hold of a scratch plate and use the pickup hole in that + router to create your template. you'll have to drill out the corners first to achieve the correct corner radius, a 6-7mm drill bit should work.[/quote]
This isnt a bad idea. It would seem as if once these are done, it would be a lot easier to route the rest out. I may implement this in a future rout.

[quote name='big25g' post='1263658' date='Jun 10 2011, 10:01 AM']Hello,

I'm just in the middle of converting an old p bass into a PJ bass. Has anyone ever route out the hole for the pickup before. My dad is the one with the tool and know how for using the router but is a bit worried that the hole isnt going to look tidy.

Has anyone got any tips for doing this?

Thanks
Gary[/quote]

If it is a colour spray/varnish finish, go carefully with a router initially, you may chip the finish.
For the corners you will likely need a 3/8" router cutter (1/2" deep blade) with a bearing upper guide, ie, the bearing above the cutter
as it plunges to follow the template. A 1/4" router machine will take the 3/8" router cutter bit and they cost about £25 from Trend.
Now I guess the chisel seems more cost effective!

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1264150' date='Jun 10 2011, 05:09 PM']the easiest way is to get hold of a scratch plate and use the pickup hole in that + router to create your template. you'll have to drill out the corners first to achieve the correct corner radius, a 6-7mm drill bit should work.[/quote]
The downside to that of course is that jazz neck pups aren't always the same size as the bridge one and you could end up wasting time routing out a lovely neat cavity that's too tight.

• 2 weeks later...