Why become a member? ×

More fun on the eBay!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1259998' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:53 PM']Busted :)[/quote]

Dude you found that one of a kind Pre-EB neck that was the first run off the production line, made out of an offcut of wood used for the presidential desk, set with frets made using metal obtained from smelting Napoleon's favourite sword. It just so happened to be that it's attached to some hunk of crap body, so you thought you would get this one of a kind item by rubbishing the listing. Looks like you thought wrong pal! You would've gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for those meddling EBMM guys!

And I am highly impressed by your knowledge above and the detail in which you know it. Fair play to you man that takes dedication, or a lot of time on your hands, I'm not sure which :).

[quote name='dc2009' post='1260024' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:11 PM']And I am highly impressed by your knowledge above and the detail in which you know it. Fair play to you man that takes dedication, or a lot of time on your hands, I'm not sure which :).[/quote]

Just a self styled expert, No more , No less :) and too much time.

[b]This lifted from the advert still reads as the neck being real as far as the seller can tell attached to a copy body, Call me a moron if you like but thats how it reads.

[/b]
I BOUGHT THIS GUITAR ON EBAY AS AN ERNIE BALL MUSICMAN STINGRAYTHAT HAD BEEN CONVERTED FROM ACTIVE TO PASSIVE. HOWEVER, SUBSEQUENT ENQUIRIES WITH MUSICMAN IN CALIFORNIA SUGGEST THAT THIS IS not the case- I.E. THE NECKAPPEARS TO BE KOSHER BUT THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE BODY DOESN'T TALLY WITH MUSICMAN. So this is a copy, albeit a good one.HAVING SAID THAT, THE GUITAR PLAYS AND SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL, LOOKS BRILLIANT AND THE ACTION IS SUPERB. ALSO, BEING PASSIVE IT DOESN'T REQUIRE A BATTERY TO MAKE IT WORK. IT IS IN VERY GOOD OVERALL CONDITION WITH A FEW VERY MINOR SCRATCHES. I'M SELLING IT BECAUSE I'VE GOT TOO MANY GUITARS AND NEED TO REDUCE MY COLLECTION.

This is ceratinly the body the only difference being that they at least got the truss rod the right end
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tanglewood-Stingray-Bass-Guitar-/120733458715?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c1c46611b"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tanglewood-Stingray-...=item1c1c46611b[/url]
My guess is that its just an earlier version of it?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1259989' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:48 PM']Self styled expert or not its totally fake so get the words "appears to be [b]kosher" [/b]out of the listing or remove it end of arguement mate :)[/quote]

You seem to think the listing is mine - it isn't. I don't need no steenking MusicMan, kosher or otherwise.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1259989' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:48 PM']There is no way EBMM have said that its kosher what they may of said is "we dont know it could be but we didnt make and have no records for pre EB goods" I dare say even the girl in the office at EBMM could tell you why its not right though.[/quote]

All this comes down to EBMM making a statement that you seem to insist they didn't. How do you know they didn't? Do you have their office bugged? Do you monitor their emails? Anyway I am wondering how many staff are left at EBMM who were there 27 years ago and what might have come out of old stock/new ownership in the first few months...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1259989' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:48 PM'][b]FYI all of the points I have listed can be confirmed by me by looking at the basses in this room right now and as a self styled expert (Should that go In my sig or not?) I feel im in a pretty good position to comment having every version right here right now?[/b][/quote]

I don't think self-styled expert is quite it... if you have every possible version of every Stingray then I think the phrase "obsessive hoarder" may be nearer the mark!

ficelles

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1260041' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:23 PM'][b]This lifted from the advert still reads as the neck being real as far as the seller can tell attached to a copy body, Call me a moron if you like but thats how it reads.[/b][/quote]

That is because the seller genuinely believes, based on what EBMM told him, that the neck is real. I know that's quite a difficult concept to grasp but stick at and and you'll get it.

Anyway I am seeing the man in question in a couple of hours and I'm going to suggest he pulls the listing...

ficelles

[quote name='ficelles' post='1260049' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:26 PM']All this comes down to EBMM making a statement that you seem to insist they didn't. How do you know they didn't? Do you have their office bugged? Do you monitor their emails? [b]Anyway I am wondering how many staff are left at EBMM who were there 27 years ago [/b]and what might have come out of old stock/new ownership in the first few months...[/quote]

Just tell him to change it or pull it mate what cant you accept? Do you really think that neck has a glimmer of hope from an email against all the points I have given you?

You really are messing with the wrong guy if you want to start going down the route of the transition Ray era too :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1260032' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:16 PM']Just a self styled expert, No more , No less :) and too much time.[/quote]

Very jealous. I'd love to be that knowledgeable about something. So knowledgeable it bores most people but comes useful at occasional moments like this one! Perhaps that's why I'm studying aeronautics, there isn't much that's nerdier :).

I've still never played a proper stingray, will have to discover what the fuss is about someday I spose. Well I guess I have my MM copy, it says crafter on it, I guess that makes it a crafter..... :-(

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1260058' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:32 PM']None it was a different company sold in 1984 and you call me a moron! :)

Just tell him to change it or pull it mate what cant you accept? Do you really think that neck has a glimmer of hope from an email against all the points I have given you?

You really are messing with the wrong guy if you want to start going down the route of the transition Ray era too :)[/quote]

Well I just looked it up on Wikipedia, which says "After looking at a few offers Music Man was sold to Ernie Ball on March 7, 1984."... so what company do you think was sold in '84?

Anyway like I have repeatedly said, I have never owned a MM (EB or otherwise), don't like how they look, am not interested in their history, and outside of a sense of fair play re a friend being falsely maligned in here couldn't give a rats about MM products.

ficelles

[quote name='dc2009' post='1260067' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:37 PM']I've still never played a proper stingray, will have to discover what the fuss is about someday I spose. Well I guess I have my MM copy, it says crafter on it, I guess that makes it a crafter..... :-([/quote]

I think you might be able to get the MM logo's on ebay :)

[quote name='ficelles' post='1260070' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:40 PM']Well I just looked it up on Wikipedia, which says "After looking at a few offers Music Man was sold to Ernie Ball on March 7, 1984."... so what company do you think was sold in '84?

Anyway like I have repeatedly said, I have never owned a MM (EB or otherwise), don't like how they look, am not interested in their history, and outside of a sense of fair play re a friend being falsely maligned in here couldn't give a rats about MM products.

ficelles[/quote]

I removed that comment already as it sounded childish like yours anyway :) MM was sold in 84' To Ernie ball and his son Sterling Ball remains the top dog to this day.

You still sound as though your hanging on the hope that its real to me and its you that cannot grasp my [u]facts[/u] listed?

[quote name='ficelles' post='1260070' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:40 PM']Anyway like I have repeatedly said, I have never owned a MM (EB or otherwise), don't like how they look, am not interested in their history, and outside of a sense of fair play re a friend being falsely maligned in here couldn't give a rats about MM products.

ficelles[/quote]
Maybe if you tried a REAL one one day you might like it but as you appear to have only played maybe a Tanglewood with a £2.99 logo stuck to it as only a moron could miss all the points I have listed for you if he had ever even seen a real one :) :)

No need to diss something just because your mate got done for £360 on a pile of sh*t is there?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1260071' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:40 PM']I think you might be able to get the MM logo's on ebay :)[/quote]

Dude I think the body of mine is made out of concrete, whatever it is I swear it weighs 10Kgs, I'd never get away with it!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1260078' date='Jun 7 2011, 06:47 PM']Maybe if you tried a REAL one one day you might like it but as you appear to have only played maybe a Tanglewood with a £2.99 logo stuck to it as only a moron could miss all the points I have listed for you if he had ever even seen a real one :) :)

No need to diss something just because your mate got done for £360 on a pile of sh*t is there?[/quote]

Actually I have tried several real ones and they just don't "do it" for me. Nothing wrong with them but nothing earth-shatteringly great about them either imho. As for not knowing a REAL one, well not being an obsessive I imagine I would be easy to fool although I am generally very wary of anything vintage with a bolt-on neck as it is so laughably easy to mock almost anything up from Allparts or wherever.

Anyway you are being really rather unpleasant about someone getting ripped off in this way, maybe you think it's funny? I think it would be an idea to see if Martin can identify Seller: Member ID stig999000 so their name and address can be published in here. I wonder if that is making anyone nervous...

ficelles

Pete.......

One thing we have ascertained is that you are an obsessive hoarder and as such should change your sig to OBSESSIVEstingraypete1977HOARDER until you're better.

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Hold on, I've only got one less SR than you, does that make me a slightly less obsessive hoarder? Scary.

[quote name='ficelles' post='1260118' date='Jun 7 2011, 07:18 PM']...I think it would be an idea to see if Martin can identify Seller: Member ID stig999000 so their name and address can be published in here. I wonder if that is making anyone nervous...[/quote]

I can't see how that will help your cause and I can't see how anyone who has posted on this thread will be at all nervous if you did - I'm sure you'd be barking up the wrong tree.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1260142' date='Jun 7 2011, 07:37 PM']Pete.......

One thing we have ascertained is that you are an obsessive hoarder and as such should change your sig to OBSESSIVEstingraypete1977HOARDER until you're better.

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Hold on, I've only got one less SR than you, does that make me a slightly less obsessive hoarder? Scary.[/quote]

Your already there, Welcome to the club :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1260152' date='Jun 7 2011, 07:42 PM']I can't see how that will help your cause and I can't see how anyone who has posted on this thread will be at all nervous if you did - I'm sure you'd be barking up the wrong tree.[/quote]

I don't have a cause - I just have a friend who has been ripped off on eBay and is now being maligned in here. Personally I think my friend should pull the listing, but then if Captain Stingray gets eBay to pull it my friend will at least get his fees refunded.

But I also think identifying the original seller will help future buyers.

ficelles

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1260152' date='Jun 7 2011, 07:42 PM']I can't see how that will help your cause and I can't see how anyone who has posted on this thread will be at all nervous if you did - I'm sure you'd be barking up the wrong tree.[/quote]
Maybe mcnach built it? Oh wait it hasnt got a John East pre amp has it :)

[quote name='BB3000S' post='1259968' date='Jun 7 2011, 05:28 PM']Ok, so I couldn't restrain myself from asking our friends on the EBMM forum about this: [url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/50001-ebay-stingray-copy-supposedly-ernie-ball-music-man-confirmed-real-ernie-ball-music-man-neck.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...c-man-neck.html[/url]
Clearly this whole thread is growing out of proportion, but hey that's what we do on the internet sometimes. :)[/quote]
Just looked at BB3000S's post on the EBMM forum - One of the moderators over there (who I recognise as an EBMM expert from the dudepit days) has offered to eat any and all actual EBMM parts from the bass. :)