Why become a member? ×

Interpol Bass Sound

shine182

[quote name='shine182' post='1252041' date='May 31 2011, 08:59 PM']Hi There,

Love the deep bass growl on this track by Interpol.

[url="http://youtu.be/GAEPl_MKAQQ"]http://youtu.be/GAEPl_MKAQQ[/url]

Any ideas how I can get this sound?

Thanks

Alex[/quote]

MASSIVE INTERPOL FAN HEAR!, So glad someone out there....

anyway. its a usa fender jazz, (basically any decent jazz with a rosewood neck) through an ampeg 8x10, svt rig.

make sure your roundwound strings are pretty used too..

Carlos is one of my fave bass players out there.

Definately Jazz bassed!

Got the ampeg stack and been playing a Jaguar, which has a similar pickup setup.

But i'm thinking there must be something else... for just a touch more growl?

Perhaps a Tech 21 VT?

Perhaps im just imagining it lol

Thanks

Alex

[quote name='shine182' post='1252107' date='May 31 2011, 09:55 PM']Definately Jazz bassed!

Got the ampeg stack and been playing a Jaguar, which has a similar pickup setup.

But i'm thinking there must be something else... for just a touch more growl?

Perhaps a Tech 21 VT?

Perhaps im just imagining it lol

Thanks

Alex[/quote]

the jaguar dosent really sound like a STD jazz. well, it does but...its much brighter snappier sounding.

carlos's's's'ss ss sound i really simple to get, its just a jazz bass with dirty strings and a pick. oh and played nearer the neck for more of a mellow sound,

if my growl you mean... a bump in the mids around 100k. its mainly the production side of things and playing style :)
he plays in drop D too.

Yeah he was a simple 'bass plus amp and pick' player, and as above, pick near the neck for the fatter warmer sound, and just use roundwounds (nickels probably) to get the touch of growl. Dont worry if they start to sound less 'trebly' because he never seemed to use a really bright sound.

Another option is to use flatwounds, or something like Daddario Chromes. Chromes will growl, but feel smoother.

Definitely a very underated player. Very original way of playing bass...its as if he wanted to make a part that stuck out more than the lead guitar parts.

In this modern age of effects that actually sound like a tube amp, Id go for a Tech 21 VT Bass (a new version 2 is out now).

That will allow you to get an Ampeg 'tube grit' tone at any volume, through any amp.

It can add that little extra hair to the notes that you might want

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1252537' date='Jun 1 2011, 11:52 AM']Big Carlos fan.

Interesting comment on the Nickel roundwounds - is that what they do to the sound? I've obviously not tried enough strings![/quote]

Nickels for me are like the string between stainless rounds and flats....they have the growl and defintion of rounds, but they arent as harsh on the fingers or the ears as stainless.

Ive stopped using stainless strings now, much prefer nickel rounds or just flats.

Another big Carlos fan here - have seen them twice. The first time he took a solo type break in one song .... Paul made some crack about him being a bass god ... it was pretty average, to be honest. Overall though, a great player with quite a distinctive style - both in terms of bass and personality!

But... a question ... in 'All Fired Up', that sounds like a double / acoustic bass to me, no?

[quote name='OzMike' post='1252758' date='Jun 1 2011, 03:09 PM']But... a question ... in 'All Fired Up', that sounds like a double / acoustic bass to me, no?[/quote]

Yup, It is. Quite enjoyed Carlos's playing when he was in the band, but most of the well known parts weren't written by him at all; Daniel Kessler wrote them.

Gear-wise he didn't give much of a toss. Played an american standard jazz with no effects through an SVT and, as qouted by others, in Drop D most of the time. Paul Banks observed that he wasn't really into playing bass at all by the end, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's sold his gear and put the money into some avant garde film.