Why become a member? ×

Guy Pratt and the "stack knob Jazz"

mentalextra

I guess I am not the only one who has seen Guy Pratt playing the "great disco bass lines" you tube video. But, there is a lot of fret buzz. Is this a compromise on a low action or acceptable side effect of playing. Also, what is special about a "stack knob" Jazz bass? Is it age?

Many thanks (be patient I am new) :)

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1251687' date='May 31 2011, 04:08 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97116&hl=guy+pratt"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;hl=guy+pratt[/url][/quote]

That'll teach me to search first. I should know better! lol But, what about the fret buzz?

Cheers

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1252173' date='May 31 2011, 10:51 PM']its his technique - i like that bit of percussive thrrupp from a low action and an aggressive finger style[/quote]

I like that, it sort of makes it both a rhythm and percussive instrument. But, would the "youtube" purists not approve!

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='mentalextra' post='1288043' date='Jun 30 2011, 05:46 PM']But, as I said up the top. What is so special about a "stack knob"; is it age, rarity? :)[/quote]
Other than Reissues, Fender stopped making stacked knob Jazzes in '62 (ish). Individual volume and tone for each knob, whereas the subsequent (and more enduring) three knob control plate allows you to mix the volumes with one knob (at the expense of only having one tone control). So if you like a stacked knob jazz its either (a) you like the retro nature of the bass or (b ) you are a vintage collector or (c ) you prefr the control arrangement. Most I guess like it because of point (a).

[quote name='Clarky' post='1288049' date='Jun 30 2011, 05:52 PM']Other than Reissues, Fender stopped making stacked knob Jazzes in '62 (ish). Individual volume and tone for each knob, whereas the subsequent (and more enduring) three knob control plate allows you to mix the volumes with one knob (at the expense of only having one tone control). So if you like a stacked knob jazz its either (a) you like the retro nature of the bass or (b ) you are a vintage collector or (c ) you prefr the control arrangement. Most I guess like it because of point (a).[/quote]

or (d) it looks cooler :)