Why become a member? ×

Need help making progress on bass

davidmark

Hi,

Have just started playing bass again after a long break. Am currently playing at a level where I am ok but nothing special and don't know how to progress further , any suggestions , basslines I should learn , tips on ear training etc would be welcome , thanks

[quote name='davidmark' post='14115' date='Jun 8 2007, 12:18 PM']Hi,

Have just started playing bass again after a long break. Am currently playing at a level where I am ok but nothing special and don't know how to progress further , any suggestions , basslines I should learn , tips on ear training etc would be welcome , thanks[/quote]

Hi mate...sorry it's taken a little while for someone to get back to you on this!!!

I'd strongly suggest learning some theory, so some basic scales, firstly over one octave, then over 2, then up and down the neck in every possible position, etc. As for ear training, try working out some tunes that you want to learn, don't throw yourself in too deep...or at least, if you're trying to work out something solid, just start with finding the tonic (bass note of the chord/root note)...then work from there.

Other good exercise would be to try and learn some basic chords, start with bar chords like you would on a guitar and then record a little sequence of them (within a choosen key)...then try to create a bass line to go with them, and in turn, a melody/solo. Some of this may seem a little none bass-ish, but it's all great stuff. A really helpful tool is a looper...i couldn't live without my Boss RC-20XL now, it's priceless for me!!!

Also, play to a metronome, timing is everything...i spent too many years playing without any time keeping device, and as a consequence, when i came to start taking my playing more seriously, my timing was an issue...if you get used to playing to a metronome though, you're timing will be spot on! Also, don't be in a hurry to try playing things fast, start slow, and build up speed, this will make you a far more accurate player, and you'll shred a lot better later on, rather than poorly a lot quicker and have shoddy technique for a lot longer!!!

What sort of music/songs are you into? Do you play in any bands?

If any of the above doesn't make any sense to you, just say so, i'll happily go into more detail/provide chord fingerings etc. Just ask :)

Thanks
Jamie

Hi all, thanks for the replies,
Tip regarding the metronome is a good idea, will try out some of those websites. My main bass influence at the moment is Paul McCartney (66-70 era beatles , awesome bass playing), I love the melody in his basslines and his tone.

Hi mark, I'm a recent convert to Macca's bass too, must confess I love it. One small tip is think about why you're doing what you're doing. By that I mean don't just learn stuff in a robotic fashion, find out what the chords are that the bass goes over, spot where particular bassists like certain patterns for certain changes or chords, and you'll be building up a repetoire of ideas for when you do the most important thing (to my mind) which is writing your own basslines.

Edited by stewblack